or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

Price point will be a big factor, too. An Xbox One will run you from $350 to $500 depending on how complete a bundle you get, and the games are $40+ish. An TV for less than $100 with a bunch of freemium games could satisfy a lot of casual gamers. (Read parents too poor/cheap to buy one of the big systems.) I bet the TV will have a lot of casual & kids games, too. That will appeal to the parents who don't want to shell out for a Wii U and its expensive games or buy the...
I'm in the market for an iPad mini for my middle-school student. Coupled with a Bluetooth keyboard and external display I hope it will provide a "mini" laptop experience. But I'm waiting until the mini is refreshed to the latest chips. I just hope there is a model without the fingerprint reader. Don't need it. Don't want it. Don't want to pay for it.
Then perhaps it is purely a marketing/perception problem. My understanding is that when you use Apple Pay, Apple servers are involved in the transaction and it is done in an Apple proprietary manner. If the reality is that, yes, you use Apple servers, but the whole transaction is done in a way that anyone else can (and should) do using industry standards, then why bother branding it "Apple" Pay? Is it merely the fingerprint use to gain access to the card info on the...
The long term solution here is for the banks, credit card companies, cell phone manufacturers and all other interested parties to create some industry-wide standards. NFC payment should be as open and standardized as mag stripes. These proprietary systems will be short-lived as all involved find supporting all the conflicting providers expensive and error-prone.   I would not be surprised to see Apple make the ApplePay system available for licensing or turn the IP over...
And here I was thinking I was so smart to pick up some more AAPL at $115. Now they are down to $111. *sigh* Good thing I'm a long term investor and not a day trader.   When AAPL is at $200 based on the new Apple TV and app store, this blip will be long forgotten.
The "manipulation" position is that this is done on purpose. "Wall Street" manipulates the news so it looks like Apple is not doing well - when in reality most companies would LOVE to be in their position. This news manipulation then causes the price to slump and the big players grab up shares. The stock then climbs back up to more sane levels. Profit. And then in a few months the cycle starts over again. That's my completely naive take on the situation. I don't understand...
Meanwhile Amazon continues to lose money and their stock price took a big jump after their latest earnings report.   Accept that the market is irrational and manipulated. Play the game and take what crumbs you can from the manipulation by the big dogs. I see this as a buying opportunity.   - Jasen.
This is relevant to my interests. My daughter is about to enter Jr. High. She's in that "doesn't have/need a cell phone but needs/wants a better computing device" demographic. I don't want to shell out for a MacBook for her, and she is very happy with the games, etc. on the hand-me-down iPod she uses now. We're strongly considering an iPad mini for its larger screen, but then she loses the pocketability of the iPod. That leads me to think of cobbling together an iPod,...
No. Not if Spotify reaches customers Apple doesn't. The marginal cost of putting a song on multiple streaming services is zero. Being on more services = more revenue for the label/artist. A label/artist then needs to decide how little they are willing to accept before cutting off a distribution channel. Spotify does get in the situation where labels/artists may decide to go exclusively with Apple unless Spotify price matches.
I think this would only be true if Apple was making the artists sign exclusive deals. Otherwise I don't see how Apple paying more money impacts Spotify. Unless Apple continued to give its service away for free beyond some introductory period, thus making Apple's service more attractive to consumers than Spotify's service. Then Apple would be using money from other segments of their business to intentionally hurt a smaller competitor.