or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

This is relevant to my interests. My daughter is about to enter Jr. High. She's in that "doesn't have/need a cell phone but needs/wants a better computing device" demographic. I don't want to shell out for a MacBook for her, and she is very happy with the games, etc. on the hand-me-down iPod she uses now. We're strongly considering an iPad mini for its larger screen, but then she loses the pocketability of the iPod. That leads me to think of cobbling together an iPod,...
No. Not if Spotify reaches customers Apple doesn't. The marginal cost of putting a song on multiple streaming services is zero. Being on more services = more revenue for the label/artist. A label/artist then needs to decide how little they are willing to accept before cutting off a distribution channel. Spotify does get in the situation where labels/artists may decide to go exclusively with Apple unless Spotify price matches.
I think this would only be true if Apple was making the artists sign exclusive deals. Otherwise I don't see how Apple paying more money impacts Spotify. Unless Apple continued to give its service away for free beyond some introductory period, thus making Apple's service more attractive to consumers than Spotify's service. Then Apple would be using money from other segments of their business to intentionally hurt a smaller competitor.
Apparently internal self-consistency is not a strong point of mine. Yes, lossless/high-bit rate would make Music more appealing to me.I don't need high-bit rate Pandora or Spotify because I listen to them mostly in casual listening environments - work or driving. IMHO, high-bit rate isn't needed when traffic is raising the noise floor or my brain is mostly busy working rather than listening.If I do want a high quality recording - to listen to on my fancy home rig, I don't...
So we have a single global "radio" station. Hooray for monoculture. How much will record companies be paying to have their songs played on this station? How much will they be paying to have their artists interviewed?   The family price does seem very good.   I'd like to see high-bit rate, too.   For now I'll stick with free Pandora & free Spotify. Not high-bit rate, but good enough for earbuds or in the truck. If I really want a high quality copy I'll buy the...
I think Apple needs to kill all non-Apple Pay capable phones ASAP. I also think they should keep the number of form factors to a minimum. One of the frustrations I've had with my 5c (yeah, I'm cheap) is that far fewer accessories/cases are made for it than the other models.
 Yawn. Try putting your Macs in an environment with several thousand machines in a mixed Windows, Mac, Linux, and who knows what else environment with Active Directory, proxies, firewalls, VPN, etc. Since upgrading to 10.10 myself and many others in my company have been having networking problems with our Macs. These are problems we never had with 10.9 or earlier. Or maybe you cited a trivial example with no problems as sarcasm?
The TV market is getting ready to go through another tech upgrade. Broader color gamut, HDR. See http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision.html 2k is quickly being replaced by 4k. I'm not sure any of that will change the display market from a low margin, high volume trap. But then, the PC & cell phone markets have the same issues, yet Apple maintains high margins and growing sales in those markets.   Interesting times are coming soon in TVs. Apple may be able...
Figures. I just got a new MBP at work a month ago. I really wanted to wait for the new trackpad. Now I have to wait another three years. *sigh*