or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

Oh, what the heck, this looks like a fun thread to jump in to late. The shareholders own Apple. If Apple has a huge pile of money, that money belongs to the shareholders. At some point the shareholders will get frustrated that the Apple BoD has a huge amount of their (the shareholders') money locked up in cash equivalents and demand a) a special dividend to cut down the huge pile of money or b) an ongoing dividend to slow the growth of the huge pile of money. As long...
Agreed. US politicians like to whine and whinge about public transportation and high-speed rail. But to do that effectively you need massive concentrations of destinations near the stops. I visited Hong Kong once and was amazed at the HUGE apartment buildings and office buildings. With a population density like that, you can pull off mass transit. The USA's custom of everyone wanting a postage stamp of land to call their own spreads the population too thin for mass transit...
I just watched the video. Did not read the entire thread, but here's some comments. Steve is a MASTER presenter and salesman. He took on the folksy, humble, local boy-done-good persona with that council and worked it. His "aww shucks, I remember working for HP" story was emotion manipulating gold! The question "what does the city get out of this?" was kind of a good one, but the Wi-Fi and iPads comments were petty and pitiable. Were the councilmen looking for a...
Agreed. I recently started using my iPod Touch for some technical PDFs. I pulled them down in the Touch's web browser, moved them to the bookshelf. Then I wanted to read them on my Mac. Opened iTunes and .... where's my books? Did a bit of Googling and there's some third-party software to get at the documents in the iTunes library. What?! iTunes can't get at all the things it stores in its own library?!? Fail. - Jasen.
There are places to plug your iOS device into for charging other than the computer. Many cars have USB ports in them these days. Many external batteries cover the dock port and provide only USB connectivity. There are even wall adaptors that provide USB power for things like Nooks, Kindles, and cell phones that can be used.I think it'd be great if my computer and iOS devices were wirelessly aware of each other and could stay synced up without manual intervention.I wonder...
Came here to post this. Personally - not that anyone cares - I've moved from Twitter to Facebook. The ability to hold a threaded conversation/comment chain is the killer feature to me. I'm guessing this means Apple's Ping is dead? Although Ping is supposed to be about music. - Jasen.
Yep. The rise of virtual machines and the ability to dual-boot to hardware level Windows has really helped the growth of Mac sales. Lose that ability to switch between the two and Mac sales plummet. In the corporate world, sometimes you have to have Windows and/or Internet Explorer. The dual chip approach is interesting, though. OS X for ARM and Intel on the HD. OS dynamically engages whichever CPU is most appropriate. Toss in native iOS and you could have an interesting...
Apple is a software company that makes their own hardware. They have iTunes and the iTunes store to integrate with. They have great developer tools with XCode and a simple way for developers to get their software to users. Until a competitor can cover all three areas: PC integration, content delivery, and developer tools; they aren't going to compete. Microsoft could have had a chance, but they don't make their own hardware, and their OS is intentionally generic allowing...
I'd like to see a color e-ink device. Yes, it won't be as saturated as an LCD display, nor as good as glossy paper print. But it should compare favorably to newspaper. And for the majority of books and other print-to-digital migrations be good enough. E-ink's big advantage over LCDs is visibility in sunlight. You can't sit by the pool or on the deck or in the park and read an iPad. For tablet LCD based form-factor, the iPad has the market locked. But a color e-ink...
Came here to say this. Apple has really raised the bar on multi-touch user interfaces. Microsoft has the Surface, but it's expensive and aimed at developers rather than as a consumer product. I would hope that Apple has 50" wall-mounted iPad-like devices in their labs. Until the aTV grows up, I really don't see a point in Apple entering the crowded and thin-magrin TV market. - Jasen.