or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

I really hope Apple minimizes the number of iPhone sizes. I got a 5c and I've been very disappointed in the lack cases and peripherals available for it. There's lots of 5/5s things around, but very few for the 5c.   - Jasen.
Ha ha! That's funny.  Oh wait, you're serious?! Apple makes more profit than all those other companies - probably combined. That is Apple's sin. They quietly make great products & services which leads to mountains of profit. The market is not rational. If Apple had a P/E similar to those other companies, it would be priced in the thousands per share. - Jasen.
The problem with avoiding the smart TVs is you can't if you want certain features. Want 3 HDMI inputs,120Hz refresh, and local dimming? The high-end smart TV has it, but they don't make a dumb TV with the same features. Or, retailers don't carry the high-end dumb TV, they only carry certain price & feature points. So high-end picture = smart TV.   And then you get to manufacturing costs. It's probably cheaper for the manufacturer to put the "smart" hardware in every TV...
I use Spotify the vast majority of the time. I like listening to albums and artist catalogs.   I've tried iTR a bit and I agree with those who are unhappy with its song selections. Pandora gives me a nice wide variety, but still coherent. iTR tends to play artists from the same time period. For example, on Pandora a station seeded with The Black Keys will play Led Zeppelin, blues from the 50s, and some contemporary bands like The White Stripes. A similar station on iTR...
Or $600+?  Anyone have a chart of what AAPL does after earning reports? My gut tells me it drops - if they exceed expectations then the stories go "The gas has run out! Apple can't do any better! This is the peak!" If they miss expectations the stories go "Apple falters! Heading into a downward spiral!" If you're long AAPL it's just froth. But it could be a buying opportunity. Forbes is guessing the price will rise. - Jasen.
We got a deal similar to this from Verizon. We had to trade in two phones and buy an accessory for each. We traded in two Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rises and got two 5cs for $0.   - Jasen.
 Victim here. We went in to Verizon to get my wife a 5c because she was tired of not getting coverage at our house (we live in a small but deep coverage hole for everyone but Verizon). After pushing some buttons, the sales guy offered us both $0 5cs if we'd trade in our cheapy $80 Virgin Mobile phones. Here you go! We walked out with $40/mo for each phone, plus a 1GB shared data plan for $42 (I get a discount because of where I work). So we went from $70/mo for two cheap...
 I have a Kyocera Rise with Virgin Mobile. I get no reception at my house - but do a few blocks away (we live in a coverage hole). I picked up a 5c last night on Sprint. Still have very little signal. One nice thing Sprint has is the Airave - a mini-cell tower that communicates over your internet connection. My neighbor has one and is pleased. If I can't get Sprint to give me one for free, I'm returning the iPhone and switching to Verizon. When we compared plans, Sprint...
I don't understand Wall Street - I think that's a good thing.   http://247wallst.com/consumer-electronics/2013/09/11/apple-takes-key-analyst-downgrade-the-iphone-dud/   http://247wallst.com/consumer-electronics/2013/09/11/credit-suisse-sees-panic-taking-over-in-apple-stock/   Apple released a device that is crazy faster than the previous generation. They are available at launch in China & Japan. Added a major carrier in Japan. And are positioned to add China Mobile...
I wish MS well. Apple needs some decent competition. Android is suffering the splintering that was predicted many years ago. The device makers & carriers control the software and don't bother to update instead pushing customers to buy new devices. If MS can provide a consistent user experience, I think they can sell that.   The problem with MS, though, is they have no taste. Rather than develop a really good mobile user experience and a really good desktop experience they...