or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

He always appears like that. European. I think that's a good enough excuse.
"Apple is exploiting an absurdity, one that we have not seen other corporations use," the senator said. "And the absurdity need not continue."   Apple's response should be: "When the absurdity is ended, we will stop exploiting it. Until then, we have a fiduciary responsibility to our shareholders (many of whom are US citizens, pension plans, and retirement funds) to maximize the return on our capital. Have a nice day."   If you find a loophole and it works and is...
(This is a pretty shameful thread full of off-topic attacks on Apple in general, Tim Cook in particular, and personal sniping. The article is about Google's new music service. Anyone care to actually comment on THAT?)   I use Spotify and Pandora regularly.   Spotify is great when I know what I want to listen to: I feel like Rush today. Bam. There's a whole bunch of albums. Maybe some Robert Plant. Ta-da. But I don't find its radio stations very compelling. If I...
I think this is a good idea and I'm surprised there isn't lots of prior art.   Making the touchpad an LCD is bad because 1) your hands cover it. 2) your focus is off the screen and onto the touchpad. Putting a virtual touchpad on the screen works because our brains can easily do the mapping between the physical device and the screen - like we do with a mouse.   The difficulty with the proposed approach is how much of the screen is covered by the virtual...
Hmm... Not sure what the real innovation is from the article. Digital whiteboards have been around for a while - but they are expensive. There are also projects around that use the Wii controllers (Wiimote) to create low cost interactive whiteboards.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ http://www.uweschmidt.org/wiimote-whiteboard   I've read of teachers using Wiimote whiteboards in classes.   At work I hooked up two of the above systems using VNC....
I'm a shareholder and I really don't care if Apple issues a dividend or not. Yes, it'd be nice to get some cash from my investment, but there are many other solid dividend issuing companies to invest in. Apple's huge pile of cash gives them purchasing power and a buffer for when their insane popularity starts to wane. Yes, from a quarterly profit, squeeze all the money you can out a company point of view all that cash is "wasted". But truthfully, I trust Apple to take...
I feel your pain. I bought a bunch at $679. It's been all downhill since then. Maybe I should announce when I buy so others can sell. :(   - Jasen.
No. Just stop. Please.   Apple is not interested in the low-end of the market. Never has been. Never will be (hopefully).   Audi, BMW, and Mercedes are not interested in the low-end of the car market. And it would hurt their brands if they went after that market.   Apple releases well-built, high-quality products that people pay for. And are happy to do so because of the perceived and real extra value Apple provides.   - Jasen.
I must say those of you calling this product a failure have no imagination. Have you not seen TRON with its desktop computer interface. The original MS Surface was an amazing tech demo. Some seriously cool concepts. No, I don't think it will be very practical as a primary PC. But as a gaming surface it could be great. There's also some serious professional uses such a surface could be used for: reviewing documents with a client, collaborating with a group, doing sales...
When I read stories like this, I wonder what other products are sitting in the labs "fermenting" waiting for the market and requisite technologies to catch up.   Maybe Apple has really great 3D augmented reality glasses being worked on by a few people in a lab. Or eInk infused cloth that changes colors.   Remember the Knowledge Navigator? Still not all here yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjve67p33E