or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

Drat. I was hoping the article would be about Apple's need for the original Surface, now called PixelSense. A table or wall sized multi-touch device from Apple would rock.   - Jasen.
I have no idea. I listen on a wired network. I haven't tried the phone app. I'm a desk jockey.   - Jasen.
Spotify is great. I have a free account and listen to it non-stop at work every day. Sound quality is way better than XM in the car. I believe the free streams are supposed to be lower quality than the paid people get, but I've been very happy. The radio feature works well, too. I get songs that are generally close to the band I've chosen and it's a good way to discover new music.   +1.   - Jasen.
  Let me introduce you to something called Classical Education. It's worked for a long time and still does.
  As others have said, technology implemented poorly can be worse than useless. Maybe San Diego has their act together. I hope so.   We're going the home school route. Khan Academy has been very helpful. And we're doing Rosetta Stone for foreign language. Technology can make life better for teachers and students. It can also just be a waste of money.   My wife did a long-term sub job at a local school. The good students were essentially ignored while the teachers poured...
And do they have funding for the ongoing IT infrastructure required? Do they have a curriculum strategy? Are they providing training for the teachers?   Sorry, but color me skeptical. Shiny toys are nice, but schools (at least in my area) are consumed with drilling students to pass the standardized tests. Actual education is secondary to assuring the kids can pass the tests.   - Jasen.
  Yes. But if you are a developer, which interface do you write to? Do you orient toward a touch UI and thus limit your sales to desktop & laptop owners? Or do you write for a mouse & keyboard interface thus making the touch portion neglected? And don't say both, because sometimes they are mutually exclusive. And most developers (even MS) don't have the resources to design a UI twice for essentially the same platform.   I believe that by giving users and developers the...
(Did not read entire thread.)   So is this an ultra-light laptop/netbook or a tablet? Is the UI touch-centric or stock Windows? Both? It'll never work. Developers won't be compelled to design truly touch-centric applications when they can sell their product to desktop/laptop users as well as have a fair expectation that owners of this thing will have the accessories to use it as a standard Windows machine.   Apple has it right. If you want a keyboard-centric...
I wish I'd poured all my retirement money into Apple back in the early 90s when I got my first real job and started dabbling in investing. As it is, I only bought a few dozen shares and have sold most of them over the years for things like a downpayment on a house. But I'm still bullish on Apple and acquire a share now and then when I can. Fortunately, many of my 401k funds have Apple as a large holding.   The only similar returns I've had was back in the tech bubble...
There is a huge installed base of software that uses the current aspect ration and pixel count. Changing either of those would significantly impact developers and cause a splintering of the iOS products. So I don't think Apple is going to add some rows of pixels to one end of the display just for grins.   Regarding size, yes, a larger display would be nice. But there are constraints such as the size of people's pockets that limit how big you can make a device and...