or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

So you can sell more software - and Apple makes some very nice software for the Mac, and products other than PCs. I don't believe they had much back in the old licensing days. Here's a possible scenario: Apple uses a "standard" Intel chipset (CPU, BIOS, support chips, etc.) with some mechanism to keep OS X from running on anything but Apple boxes. Sales go great, so great Apple can't keep up with demand - Intel has lots of chips, but Apple's contractors can't produce...
Yes, I totally missed the idea that a MacIntel could be a "standard" PC able to boot (and fully run) Windows natively, out of the box. I assumed Apple would use a highly proprietary chipset, firmware, etc. And as to OS X running on beige boxes, I suppose it will be possible that CERTAIN manufacturers or custom boxes will duplicate the hardware Apple chooses to use and thus be usable - if unsupported. (You still have that picky license agreement that says OS X is only to...
Hack? It's called VirtualPC. Microsoft owns and makes it. I predict VirtualPC for Mac Intel will ship the same day as the first Intel based Mac, no hackery involved. Microsoft sells OS and app software. VPC allows them to sell a Windows licence, the VPC license, and whatever MS written Windows software users (legally) run. From that angle, this is a big win for MS, as they won't need(?) to jump through as many hoops to provide Wintel PC emulation on the Mac. They...
I've had some time to chew on this now and here are my thoughts (not that anyone cares, but consider it therapy). 1. The importance of laptops. There were numbers out recently that laptop sales have surpassed desktop sales for the first time. Apple's laptop line-up is underpowered. IBM and Freescale don't seem to be able/willing to provide the low power/high performance chips Apple needs to keep their laptops from slipping further down the performance slope. 2....
I was talking about this with a guy at work the other day, and I think the idea has legs - and some problems. With a hard drive, USB, and wireless, I can't see any technical reasons MS couldn't take over the casual computer user market with the 360. One sticking point is the display; until people really adopt HDTV, standard TVs are horrible for doing text work on. MS also has that little monopoly issue. I suspect if MS released an Office 360 Dell, et al would start...
And a couple more from Belkin: http://www.belkin.com/config/Search/...h=mac+mini+hub Now with ports on the front! One USB only. One USB and FireWire. - Jasen. P.S. Shouldn't this thread be moved to current hardware?
Downloading widgets is equally as dangerous as downloading a program and they should be treated the same. The problem here is as you say, "some 'programs' are automatically moved". Not only are they automatically moved, but they are automatically/invisibly downloaded. i.e. There is special hidden behavior occuring with widgets, unlike every other file type you download from the Net. Sorry, but I don't want that behavior. I want Safari to act as a WEB BROWSER, not a...
I'm really surprised the Tiger beta testers didn't catch this and raise a stink to Apple. (Maybe they did and Apple ignored them?) I believe I read elsewhere that Widgets auto-installed by Safari do NOT provide the security confirmation pop-up. Also, someone has an example of Widgets that look like some of Apple's standard Widgets and replace them via adding spaces to the front of the names. So now you have a case where standard Widgets could stealthily be replaced...
Agreed. Apple has really dropped the ball on the PCI Express issue. To be a leader they should have had PCIe when the liquid cooled machines came out. To not update the mobos with this latest release tells me: a) They have something better coming out Real Soon Now. The 2.7 upgrade was very quiet, like they knew it wasn't much and nobody would care. b) The CPU speed wall has frazzled them. They lost momentum focusing on the liquid cooling and dropped the ball keeping...
"Movies", like ALL movies, even ones that used to play fine? Or "movies", like the new H.264 stuff? - Jasen.