or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

Hmmm... You want the "best" video camera, but are willing to sacrifice picture quality? I think your definition of "best" is different than that of serious camcorder users. Most camcorders will plug into iMovie and transfer dead easily. Beyond that, it sounds like ease of use is more important to you than pure picture quality. IMHO, the less $$$ you spend the fewer options and settings a camera will have. Some people will interpret this as "simple" others will think...
Looks like Mitsubishi may have beaten Apple to the LED projector punch. Mitsu's projector only does 800x600 and won't be out till July, plenty of time for Apple to make an announcement at NAB or the WWDC of a true HD device. - Jasen.
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66460,00.html Wired is running a story about the popularity of the iPod causing some friction at Microsoft's Redmond campus. You may join me in gloating. - Jasen. P.S. Someone else started a thread about this in the Digital Hub forum, too.
AirPort A/V? "Interface device" communicates with the computer and video client (TV) using different protocols - something like Apple Lossless between computer and AirPort A/V and HDTV, NTSC, or PAL to television set. (Think Apple Lossless from Mac to AirPort Express, SPDIF from AP Ex to home theater). The paragraph cited seems to cover sending a vertical blanking signal from the interface device to the computer for the purpose of invoking code and triggering the sending...
Me too. I sold a couple hundred shares at $44 back in October-ish, IIRC. Fortunately, I kept 50 shares. Very tempting to get in deeper now that Apple has gone from Wall Street's whipping boy to darling. I just with they'd pay a dividend. - Jasen.
Ummm... Why? Why this "skirt" thing? I can understand the monitor stands they're selling, and even the side-mounting kit. But why would anyone want a "skirt"? Here's an idea: cable keeper "skirt". Raises the mini a few inches and has an open back to tuck all your unsightly cables underneath the mini. I don't know that there are fortunes to be made here, but certainly some profitable products. With the PowerBooks being speed-bumped, it will be interesting to see how...
IMHO, the size has to do with Apple targeting the mini at the auto manufacturers. If Apple negotiated deals with BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, and I don't know who else to put iPod hookups in their cars, I can't imagine the talks were limited to iPod hookups. All those manufacturers have fancy in-dash navigation systems. I think Apple is aiming at that market. I could be wrong, but it is the only thing that makes sense to me as to why the mini is the specific size it is. - Jasen.
My wife watched the premiere and is now hooked. I can't get beyond over-analyzing all the characters' actions and thinking how completely unrealistic the whole bucking of the chain of command is. The main character is Mr. God-like Super Know-it-all Boy. Everyone else is a shill. Sorry, I can't buy that. I like CSI's formula better where a group works as a team and the underlings actually learn something from those above them. As portrayed, the CTU (or whatever) is so...
Verrry interesting. If PCI Express and HyperTransport can truly operate over a wire and at case to case distances - up to 2 meters? - I could see it making sense to have a CPU brick, an expansion card brick, HDD bricks, etc. Of course, folks will whine about the added case expense, power supplies, fans, and other overhead involved with putting everything in its own box. But Apple could come out with a CPU brick and a larger "most stuff you need" brick (video card, some...
Yes, peripheral makers should be falling over themselves to make stackable add-ons that match the Mac mini. Apple may have done a very good thing by informally creating a new size standard for external devices. This will even help out all Apple's other CPUs - peripherals designed to match the Mac mini will look very nice stacked next to any of the other CPUs or laptops. And case makers should make a killing. Who wouldn't want to pull any external drive they have out...