or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

My wife watched the premiere and is now hooked. I can't get beyond over-analyzing all the characters' actions and thinking how completely unrealistic the whole bucking of the chain of command is. The main character is Mr. God-like Super Know-it-all Boy. Everyone else is a shill. Sorry, I can't buy that. I like CSI's formula better where a group works as a team and the underlings actually learn something from those above them. As portrayed, the CTU (or whatever) is so...
Verrry interesting. If PCI Express and HyperTransport can truly operate over a wire and at case to case distances - up to 2 meters? - I could see it making sense to have a CPU brick, an expansion card brick, HDD bricks, etc. Of course, folks will whine about the added case expense, power supplies, fans, and other overhead involved with putting everything in its own box. But Apple could come out with a CPU brick and a larger "most stuff you need" brick (video card, some...
Yes, peripheral makers should be falling over themselves to make stackable add-ons that match the Mac mini. Apple may have done a very good thing by informally creating a new size standard for external devices. This will even help out all Apple's other CPUs - peripherals designed to match the Mac mini will look very nice stacked next to any of the other CPUs or laptops. And case makers should make a killing. Who wouldn't want to pull any external drive they have out...
I think I'll wait till Tiger comes out and then FINALLY replace my B&W G3/350 with a mini. Numbers-wise, it just makes sense. I've been holding out for a dual G5 with PCI-Express, but I think I finally have to give up that dream and realize my finances will never support a $3000 CPU, and my priorities in life have changed enough that I'd rather spend $$$ on things other than having a super-fast computer. Code: OS X 10.4 - $129 iLife '05 - $ 79 AppleWorks - $...
Mac mini accessories page has a link to the MAudio Transit which provides analog and digital audio in and out. It would have been nice if Apple'd at least provided an output like is on the Airport Express. Even better in and out with the same type of connector. It just seems very klunky to have to add an external component for digital audio. - Jasen.
No digital audio out? I'm surprised they didn't use the same connector as on the AirPort Express to handle audio out. You could use the Mac-mini as a DVD player, except for that. And with QT about to support lots of channels, there's got to be a way to get those channels to your multi-speaker system. From the few photos I've seen, it looks REALLY small. I forsee peripherals disigned to stack underneath it - USB hubs, hard drives, optical drives, etc. Sweet. Now...
Agreed. I'm really surprised they didn't come out with a matching 17" display. - Jasen.
Maybe for 30 seconds. Some speculate that the iMac-mini will have lower specs than the current iMacs (a G4 vs G5). So there is no confusion there. And provides a sell up for stores - Joe Switcher comes in to buy a mini and is convinced to part with a few more $$$ for the higher performance iMac.And I suspect there's a pretty good market segment that don't want their display integrated with their CPU like the iMac. (And if the Home Theater rumor is true, some people will...
Now that has legs. CPUs are way overpowered for the "average" home user - web surfing, word processing, MP3 playing. Heck, I'm still using a G3/350 and it only bogs down when I try to do heavy iMovie editing, 3D rendering and other compute intensive tasks. So back the the multiple terminals. One OS runs your media terminal(s) - piping music and video to your home entertainment system, another is a desktop instance, another interfaces with a wireless laptop. OTOH, CPUs...
Many of the same rumors we saw this past yearOLED iPod (Sony has an OLED Clie available in Japan)Windows on Mac courtesy of XBox 2 dev kitXBox 2 emulator for MacBig Company X is planning to buy AppleApple clothing line - can Apple do with kilts what they did with MP3 players?Apple is going out of business!