or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

Those are exactly the types of factors that drive sales and marketing departments. A spike in Q2 sales would be a good thing - the surge for 10.4 won't fall off until Q3. And if Apple has Pro App updates ready for NAB (April 15ish) and hardware updates for WWDC, those will boost sales even more. Much better to spread your sales spikes out, shows steadier growth than a BIG spike in one quarter followed by the compounded softening. Plus, if Apple doesn't have Tiger out...
I hope so. This makes sense if Apple plans to unveil new versions of the Pro apps at NAB that use Core Image. Much better to have the OS released. - Jasen.
Well, of course there's more to Tiger than Core Image, but from what I've read, Core Image will use the CPU's AltiVec if the GPU isn't powerful enough. Which kind of adds insult to injury: you have a low-end machine (wimpy GPU and CPU) and Core Image will steal cycles from the CPU. But it sounds like Core Image has graceful degradation.Nope. VGA seems to have the dim and blurry issue. DVI has some sparkly problem on dark regions. Check some of the reports. People...
XLR8 Your Mac has a good page of user reports on this issue. From the anecdotal evidence, it appears the VGA output signal on the mini is weak - and out of spec. From the reports, it is hard to tell whether all the minis are weak or just some/many. If this problem gets big enough, I smell a class action suit. If it can be shown that a large chunk of the Mac minis' VGA output is not compliant with the VGA spec I'd think consumers would have a good case. I'd think...
3D? As in modeling, animation, or what? And if any of those, why? There are lots of great 3D apps for the Mac, and several are open source/free ones. Unless by "never before seen" you mean some crazy new 3D thing that will make people hit their foreheads and say, "why didn't I think of that?" I think WWDC will see PCI-Express PowerMacs and a big emphasis on CoreImage/Video - teaching all the devs to REALLY take advantage of the GPU, possibly beyond image manipulation,...
NAB (National Association of Broadcasters). IIRC, Apple has introduced new versions of their video content creation apps (Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro) and I _THINK_ XSAN at NAB. This year I suspect we'll see CoreImage/Data versions of all/some of the pro apps, and QT7 with strong emphasis on H.264. Tiger should be out by then; I doubt they'd show Core-enabled versions of the pro apps without a finalized OS to run them on. \ In my dreams, Apple would...
I don't think a "swarming" or distributed distribution model will ever work. Reasons: liability and assuring the integrity of the data. Once joe-shmoe and joe-hacker are part of the distribution chain, how long before joe-hacker figures out a way to corrupt the data being sent to others? Insert a virus, or a little pr0n into the data stream. Hehe, good fun. All the distribution nodes need to be secure and trust worthy. That's never going to happen on the great...
http://www.macdesktops.com - Jasen.
No, cubist didn't read the article and complained about life expectancy. Onlooker just voiced incredulity at the whole idea. - Jasen.
Please pay attention and read the original post and/or the press release it linked to. The Mitsu projector uses LEDs with a 20,000 hour life (estimated 10 years running 5 hrs/day). onlooker, your pessimism and lack of vision disappoint me. Methinks folks said the same sort of things about the iPod. What a failure that's been! - Jasen.