or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

I think I'll wait till Tiger comes out and then FINALLY replace my B&W G3/350 with a mini. Numbers-wise, it just makes sense. I've been holding out for a dual G5 with PCI-Express, but I think I finally have to give up that dream and realize my finances will never support a $3000 CPU, and my priorities in life have changed enough that I'd rather spend $$$ on things other than having a super-fast computer. Code: OS X 10.4 - $129 iLife '05 - $ 79 AppleWorks - $...
Mac mini accessories page has a link to the MAudio Transit which provides analog and digital audio in and out. It would have been nice if Apple'd at least provided an output like is on the Airport Express. Even better in and out with the same type of connector. It just seems very klunky to have to add an external component for digital audio. - Jasen.
No digital audio out? I'm surprised they didn't use the same connector as on the AirPort Express to handle audio out. You could use the Mac-mini as a DVD player, except for that. And with QT about to support lots of channels, there's got to be a way to get those channels to your multi-speaker system. From the few photos I've seen, it looks REALLY small. I forsee peripherals disigned to stack underneath it - USB hubs, hard drives, optical drives, etc. Sweet. Now...
Agreed. I'm really surprised they didn't come out with a matching 17" display. - Jasen.
Maybe for 30 seconds. Some speculate that the iMac-mini will have lower specs than the current iMacs (a G4 vs G5). So there is no confusion there. And provides a sell up for stores - Joe Switcher comes in to buy a mini and is convinced to part with a few more $$$ for the higher performance iMac.And I suspect there's a pretty good market segment that don't want their display integrated with their CPU like the iMac. (And if the Home Theater rumor is true, some people will...
Now that has legs. CPUs are way overpowered for the "average" home user - web surfing, word processing, MP3 playing. Heck, I'm still using a G3/350 and it only bogs down when I try to do heavy iMovie editing, 3D rendering and other compute intensive tasks. So back the the multiple terminals. One OS runs your media terminal(s) - piping music and video to your home entertainment system, another is a desktop instance, another interfaces with a wireless laptop. OTOH, CPUs...
Many of the same rumors we saw this past yearOLED iPod (Sony has an OLED Clie available in Japan)Windows on Mac courtesy of XBox 2 dev kitXBox 2 emulator for MacBig Company X is planning to buy AppleApple clothing line - can Apple do with kilts what they did with MP3 players?Apple is going out of business!
It's not the eMac, it's the batteries that'll kill ya. Hmmm.... MWSF -> iPWSF (iPodWorld San Francisco). With little news on the CPU front, I think Steve will come out and crow about the amazing new iMac, Apple's apps, and then it's iTunes and iPods for over an hour. *sniff* \ - Jasen.
I don't think the switcher market is the right target for the HP and IBMs of the world. I'd think more a vertical market where the PC is either a glorified terminal to a more powerful server, or does a very specialized task - order entry, customer support. There's a pretty good market of SOFTWARE that costs $5k+ per seat. In those situations, I don't think the buyer is going to worry too much about the underlying OS being Windows. If IBM works a deal with Apple where...
This rumor just hit the front page of Slashdot, too. Perhaps a fun mental amusement, but little else. As I understand it, IBM's PowerPC consortia is all about people adding their own bits of circuitry to the PowerPC chips. While Apple certainly designs some of their own chips, I don't think they do the sort of CPU customizing the consortia is targeted at. Oh, and the iPod was/is successful because of iTunes and the iTunes Music Store. Without OS X to debut on, I...