or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

Now that has legs. CPUs are way overpowered for the "average" home user - web surfing, word processing, MP3 playing. Heck, I'm still using a G3/350 and it only bogs down when I try to do heavy iMovie editing, 3D rendering and other compute intensive tasks. So back the the multiple terminals. One OS runs your media terminal(s) - piping music and video to your home entertainment system, another is a desktop instance, another interfaces with a wireless laptop. OTOH, CPUs...
Many of the same rumors we saw this past yearOLED iPod (Sony has an OLED Clie available in Japan)Windows on Mac courtesy of XBox 2 dev kitXBox 2 emulator for MacBig Company X is planning to buy AppleApple clothing line - can Apple do with kilts what they did with MP3 players?Apple is going out of business!
It's not the eMac, it's the batteries that'll kill ya. Hmmm.... MWSF -> iPWSF (iPodWorld San Francisco). With little news on the CPU front, I think Steve will come out and crow about the amazing new iMac, Apple's apps, and then it's iTunes and iPods for over an hour. *sniff* \ - Jasen.
I don't think the switcher market is the right target for the HP and IBMs of the world. I'd think more a vertical market where the PC is either a glorified terminal to a more powerful server, or does a very specialized task - order entry, customer support. There's a pretty good market of SOFTWARE that costs $5k+ per seat. In those situations, I don't think the buyer is going to worry too much about the underlying OS being Windows. If IBM works a deal with Apple where...
This rumor just hit the front page of Slashdot, too. Perhaps a fun mental amusement, but little else. As I understand it, IBM's PowerPC consortia is all about people adding their own bits of circuitry to the PowerPC chips. While Apple certainly designs some of their own chips, I don't think they do the sort of CPU customizing the consortia is targeted at. Oh, and the iPod was/is successful because of iTunes and the iTunes Music Store. Without OS X to debut on, I...
Here's a fun typo in this week's CompUSA flyer. - Jasen.
And the drift towards convergence continues. Remember the Newton. Apple was years ahead of the market with that one. I'm sure Apple's brain trust came up with the cell phone-video cam-MP3 player-PDA-pocket mass storage device years ago - and all the pieces connected wirelessly. The problem with releasing such a device is it would cost a lot and be considered very complex by today's market. "Who wants something like that? It's so complicated. And $3000? No...
Sorry, I fail to understand this dismissal of CRTs as display devices. It has been pointed out many times that CRTs and LCDs have different benefits and liabilities. In a case where cost is more important than size/thinness, CRTs win. And from a manufacturing point of view, I have to believe it's easier/cheaper to fit the guts of the computer in a CRT case than in an LCD case. - Jasen.
(I tire of these "Apple's machine do or don't meet this or that market segment's needs" arguments, but I'm stuck in a boring meeting so I'll throw two cents out.)Agreed. They aren't targeted there.Such as?Again, such as? Granted, PCI-Express on the GPU side is sadly missing, but I believe (hope) that is an artifact of the CPU supply issue and will soon be fixed. Are you saying there's just not enough Mac specific products to fill up the slots available?Again, it depends...
Mice suck. Trackballs rule. Now stop all this bickering about how many buttons should or shouldn't be on those terrible mice and acknowledge the superiority of the mighty trackball. - Jasen.