or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

Yep. We quietly don't buy one of the new machines or buy a Wintel box that has the features we want/need. The new 2.5GHz machine isn't terrible, but it's already 4-6 mos old. To be at the front of the pack, there are other things besides CPU speed Apple needed. We were expecting front of the pack features and got a middle of the pack speed bump. I guess now we just have to wait for all those other features to become middle of the pack requirements and then Apple will...
Ah, internal politics. There's something those of us on the outside have no clue about yet can speculate on endlessly. Certainly internal power shiftings, etc. could have affected the PMac product development. Maybe all the CPU development engineers were focused on the next gen iMac and were counting on just dropping faster processors in the PMacs? My guess on the HD issue is that Apple expects users to use the FireWire 800 port and buy external drives; you can add...
19 days till WWDC. Looks like new displays and G5 iMacs. 3GHz announced and available in October? - Jasen.
According to the new G5 white paper on Apple's site, they are 90nm chips. IMHO, this is the update that should have happened in the Spring. Liquid cooling is nifty, but otherwise an uninteresting upgrade. Sorry, but I buy machines with an eye to how useful they will be in 2 yrs. IMHO, AGP is on the way out and PCI-Express will be entrenched in that time frame. Kudos to all of you who bought 2GHz PMacs when they were released; looks like you're still near the top of...
The conventional wisdom among the rumor mill - and indirectly from IBM and Apple at various investor speeches, I believe - is that Apple intended to bump the G5 PMacs in the Spring. IBM's fabrication problems nixed that upgrade. The rumor mill fueled by a few IBM publications (see the Trinity thread) now believes that the next generation G5, the PPC 975, has been developed in parallel with the 90nm 970fx chips. i.e. The two are not dependent on each other in any way -...
Control. Apple - especially with Steve at the helm - is all about controlling the entire user experience - especially at the "low" end. Apple wants to make sure a first time buyer has the best computing experience ever. They do that by forcing the buyer to use an Apple keyboard, an Apple mouse, and an Apple display. Apple makes very nice displays. Lots of other companies make crappy displays. Apple doesn't want their customers to whine and complain about their Mac...
Well, it's sad that Kaspar's sources lead him to believe the 975 rumor is bogus. If that's the case, Apple is in a world of hurt. The 970fx bump was NEEDED at the beginning of the year/early spring. If all Apple can pull off is that speed bump at WWDC, I'll be sadly disappointed. But if Apple has half a clue - and sometimes we wonder - development of the next gen PMac continued despite the 970fx supply issue. Kaspar did say Apple has, "no 90nm in adequate...
Errrmm... Sorry, didn't mean to send this thread off into a price war, Wintel vs Mac flame fest. The original rumor at the start was very encouraging, and the "confirmations" along the way made it more so. Here's to killer new machines at WWDC. (And prices staying out of the stratosphere.) The commonality that I've seen in this thread (and the many others just like it): 1. You can build a much cheaper Windows box than Apple can build a Mac. That's an apple to...
Ugh. I hope those prices aren't right. My friends at work already mock me bad enough for wanting to spend $2500 for a PMac vs $1000 for a homebrew PC. I know Apple positions the PMacs as professional machines and if the machine is making you money, any price is worth it if the box pays for itself. But I'm a software engineer who works in a Windows centric shop and has been an Apple owner since 1984. The eMac and iMac are too closed for my taste. I've put new video,...
Apparently I'm late to this party of iServe speculating and many others have thought of it - with various subtleties. So I guess the question remains: Is this a product whose time has come? Or will Apple stay focused on PCs as we know them?OK, so third parties are making "media servers" (or "media bridges" in the case of those with no storage) that are Mac compatible. Does Apple do like they've done with the iPod and prominently feature third party solutions at their...