or Connect

Posts by jasenj1

(I tire of these "Apple's machine do or don't meet this or that market segment's needs" arguments, but I'm stuck in a boring meeting so I'll throw two cents out.)Agreed. They aren't targeted there.Such as?Again, such as? Granted, PCI-Express on the GPU side is sadly missing, but I believe (hope) that is an artifact of the CPU supply issue and will soon be fixed. Are you saying there's just not enough Mac specific products to fill up the slots available?Again, it depends...
Mice suck. Trackballs rule. Now stop all this bickering about how many buttons should or shouldn't be on those terrible mice and acknowledge the superiority of the mighty trackball. - Jasen.
Hypothetical scenario: A person buys an iMac G5 and three year AppleCare. Two and a half years down the road the mobo "mysteriously" "fails". Apple, of course has since released new revisions with faster CPUs and GPUs, and stopped producing the now snail slow 1.6GHz models - IBM doesn't even make the chips, and the 5200fx is ancient history. Person gets a fast new machine. Apple would be silly to not provide an avenue for honest people to upgrade the mobo. - Jasen.
Turning down the Dvorak hyperbole meter I see that he is complaining about the same things many on these boards have mentioned.Port placement.Cable clutter from everything connecting off the back of the monitor.Lack of a headless consumer machine.The form mandating a weak GPU because of heat issues. (This is just speculation, but why else put such a "last year" GPU in?) Re: Colors. Yes, it appears Dvorak has been asleep the past 5 years or so.I much prefer a trackball. So...
That does raise the interesting issue of a user replaceable logic board. Something I don't think Apple has ever supported. Will it be possible to buy a new logic board with a faster GPU? Will that make economic sense? (Can someone do a cost breakdown of the iMac components?) How about a faster/cooler CPU when the next iteration of G5s comes out? Will Apple keep this form factor around long enough to make any of this practical? Will third parties be able to offer CPU...
You guys are killing me with those prices. I bought my B&W G3/350 for $1500. That was a middle of the pack PowerMac at the time. Are processors, etc. that much more expensive these days to justify $3000+ for the CPU? And it's way too many models. One of Steve's big pushes when he came back was to SIMPLIFY the line. Remember that product square thingy he shows off at MacWorlds? Pro Desktop = PowerMac Pro Laptop = PowerBook Consumer Desktop = iMac Consumer Laptop =...
If you follow the statistics, more and more of the population are. Especially the lucrative 20-30 something male audience. Wired ran a story recently about falling TV viewership, and companies are moving toward advertising in games to get eyeballs back.But people don't buy computers because it can't run the latest games full speed - and will not be able to run any future latest games decently. This is where the current iMac falls short. Sure, it can play last year's...
OK, v3 is out. Time to start speculating about v4. Obvious/apparent shortfalls on v3: video GPU, no FireWire 800, 4x DVD burner. Re: The current GPU. Is this a case of Apple really not caring about the gamer market? Or is this the best chip they could use because of heat issues in that tight space? If I were running Apple, this is what I'd like to see in the iMac.[list=1][*]CPU - Single at the same speed as the Pro machines.[*]GPU - Upgradeable. GPU...
My $0.02. Pricing seems good. I'd really like them to offer the no optical drive edu-model to the public. Many folks are not going to be thrilled with the side mounted drive. Get a nice third-party DVD-burner to slip underneath. (As long as it works with iDVD.) Video mirroring only on external monitor. Come on, Apple. The graphics card has plenty of power to drive a second monitor for semi-serious video editing and those that like lots of screen real estate. ...
I like it. It's like a Fark Photoshop topic. - Jasen.