or Connect

Posts by Chris Fitzgerald

A friend just gave me a DVD to copy from his video camera - it's one of the little ones. When I put it in my iMac, it plays just fine in iDVD, but when I open the DVD icon in the finder and try to copy the files to my hard drive, it show file types which the machine doesn't seem to understand (I get the standard "there is no default application for..... message). The file types are VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, and VIDEO_TS.VOB . How can it be that iDVD knows how to read...
You just fixed the problem. THANK YOU! I think the program that swapped it over to the higher sample rate was Sibelius, but I'm not sure. Amazing how something that simple coudl screw up the whole machine like that. Thanks again, Mr. teedoff, sir.
Apologies to the "do a search" crowd, but afetr having tried every remedy in the threads linked earlier and in this thread, I have to say that my impression of Macs as computers where things like this just don't happen is now gone. This issue is just as random and dumb as the kind of things that always used to happen on my old office PC. The only difference is that with the PC, we had tech support to help fix it. When this kind of crap happens on a Mac, all you end p with...
I finally founf the "enable flash" part of the quicktime prefs menu, but it was already unchecked. I downloaded Opera as sequitur reprted that it worked, but no dice so far. I couldn't find the compiled thread mentioned earlier, but will keep trying. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
Tried both of these, and no luck. Strangely, though, there wasn't an option box for Flash media to uncheck. I wonder if there should have been? Bob, thanks for the links. I will print those threads out (since so much of the advice seems to lead me to places where browsers need to be closed) and try the possible solutions one by one.
The same issues occur on both Safari and Firefox. What's strange is that one day they were working, and the next day they quit. Here's what happened: I went to musictheory.net to plan an online supplement assignment for my theory class (I teach music at UofL). The ear trainer on that site wouldn't play any sound. After following the links they provided to get the plugins to make the site work, all other sites that require flash quit working. FWIW, the site they directed...
Just tried that, and no go. Thanks for trying, though!
Anybody? Everything works but online sites that require flashplayer for sound. I have tried reinstalling flashplayer 9 and shockwave, but still nothing. Arggh!
A couple of days ago, my iMacG5 in my office was working fine. Yesterday, I went to musictheory.net to experiment with their interval trainer, and no sound would play. At first I thought it was just that site, so I went to the help section and downloaded the newer version of Flash they recommended. After that, not only did that site not produce any sound, but all other sites that rely on Flash for sound also quit playing sound (youtube, etc). Sites that use mp3 or...
As per suggestion, I contacted D-link and a gentleman with a very thick accent informed me that all i needed to do when it stops transmitting is unplug it for 30 seconds, then plug it back in again. This seems to work like a charm...every ****ing day, sometimes two or three times a day. I have to say that this unit is one of the worst pieces of crap gear I've ever owned of any kind. I look forward to smashing it with a bat as soon as I replace it. Any recommendations...