or Connect

Posts by a_greer

The last sentence of the lead graph on WSJ reads "people familiar with the situation said." was this a janitor within earshot of what he thought to be an OEM price negotiation phone call? was it one of the guys making the call? we don't know. Interestingly, all the crap about the Apple iWatch, iTV and such being announced "within the month or so" that we have been hearing since before Steve Jobs died were credited the same way, "people familiar with the situation..." I...
2 things:   First, Windows 8, in every benchmark I have seen, and in my own experiance, on my 2 laptops, desktop and a handfull of VMs I use, Windows 8 is faster than windows 7 in a meaningful way, same goes for Server 2012 over Server 2008R2. That Asus you were playing with was probably loaded with OEM Crudware...want to test Windows 8? test a copy fre of OEM crapware and also free of any Symantec or Maccafee products.   As to your second point, Windows is a platform,...
The iPad is representative of a new category. PCs are mature. Many corperations keep PCs for 3-4 years, but because the ipad is so new, and since Apple holds back key features and trickles them out one at a time, people tend to buy new every year, or two at most - I dont know anyone still using an iPad 1, but I know lots of people happily and productively using PCs from that era or before. An anecdotal example of this is a friend of mine who has had 4 smart phones since...
Write a business case, convince IT and business leadership that iPads are better/faster/cheaper and/or improve business efficiancy and profitability. If you can prove that iPads can mke more money and / or cost less to manage, then guess what? business will adapt! Businesses exist to make money, iPads are being used where they make sense, but the boring unsexy laptops and desktops also make business sense - that is the cold hard truth, you work to make your company...
I sort of think that people are missing something here: PCs arent going unused, they just work longer, teh laptop i bought in 2004 needed to be replaced in 2006, and that one needed replaced in 2008. the one from 2008 worked fine for me till mid last year, and I plan to make my current PC work till at least q1 2015 - On the other hand, the flip phone on my belt in 2005 worked just fine untill 2008 when I got an iphone, which I replaced in 2009, 2010, and early 2012 - I...
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8569D93DA5CA7304The CAS latency and speed combo isn't on NE, but it is only $40 each so that means about $160 for 16 GB so I think my point is still valid.
Much as I don't like non repairable stuff, after seeing it in the store today, I must say it is totally worth any trade off. This is the first time I have ever been tempted to buy an imac. They really are not easy to service, but its perfectly doable. Because it is so hard to service, I would like to see 2 changes to the customization options: *Lower the ram prices, come on - $600 for like $120 worth of ram (4x 8gb sodimms on Newegg) *More cost effective Soid State...
I could be wrong but it seems that thy took an alright music library management tool and made it about nothing more than buying more stuff, and media asset management is now secondary...
Forgive my lack of clarity, I am not saying Apple is doomed, far from it - I am saying that to say MS is doomed is just as short sighted as those who said Apple was doomed.
no one - I just happen to have real world experience in the enterprise, I am trying to add my insight to the conversation. and for the record, Apple makes good stuff, I like OSX and ran it till a couple weeks ago when I retired my MacBook bc it can no longer run modern OSX, I do plan to buy a new mac in the next few months and have sold my family on Macs and iPhones, I am buying my mom an ipad for Christmas, and so on...so I am far from an Apple hater or a shill...