or Connect

Posts by a_greer

I would encourage anyone interested in this to look into this weeks "This American Life" I accidentally tuned to NPR yesterday and caught it -- a 1 hour long special about technology patents and how many of them are just bullshit. They even touch on one that I missed -- in 2000, a guy got a patent for making toast.
$5????? It isnt worth the time to key in the UDID, and barely worth the time to cut and paste for that price, nad the risk involved if found out by apple? forget about it!
are the folks posting here my fellow registerd devswho are breaking NDAone after another, or is there some hack to bybass the device activation based on UDID...
OK, my workflow may be out of date or not the same thing that the kids are doing, but the fact is, a certain percentage of hard disks (solid or spinning) will fail at some point...if my relative/friend/coworker/client needs a disk replaced, how do I do that on a Mac now? On Windows PCs even without included restore media, its rather easy for the proverbial "neighborhood techie" to fix, just slap in any Windows media that matches the license tag on the device, install and...
I dont like the no recovery media part... that should be included even if it isnt "cool" or whatever and it couldnt cost more than $2-3$ -- what if the internal drive fails? what if the user wants to wipe and reload before sale (and when I say wipe and reload, i dont mean just blast an image on from a recovery partition. What I mean is use a program like DBAN to wipe the entire disk to DoD spec as I do when selling old gear or even giving it to family) I expect no...
gouging is gouging...a4GB thumbdrive is like $5 at Frys, so I assume Apple could buy a container of them for like a quarter or something...those who cant afford broadband will be most impacted by this, as well as those folks in areas that are under served...this is a tax on those who live in bad broadband areas, shame on those users for not moving to a part of the country with a faster pipe to get the new toys.
so having tons of experience trying to get point releases that are 500-ish mb, and IOS updates about the same size and waiting hours while the file trickles in at like 30kbps because of the all at once initial demand, is it fair to assume that I shouldn't bother trying to do this download till Saturday night? Also, because of the size of it, can I just take a USB key into the apple store, and transfer teh image from a server there (after paying of course)? I just dont...
Generally only super high end pros need matte, and they are using super high dollar color accurate screens any way so there really is little to no market for an Apple Matte Cinima display at this time.
Yeah, because that iw a windows phone 7 feature...
First, I do understand the shock and annoyance at not being user serviceable, but I think Apple is not in the wrong here at all...their goal is to make the MBA as small and powerful as possible, this is done by removing adapters and cabling whenever possible. Most people do toss their computers and get tew ones when HDDs fail, people dont wanna fix them generally...check out how many broken laptops you can get that just need a new HDD if you toss an ad on CL offering ppl...