or Connect

Posts by a_greer

Ive worked in places where outages can cost upwards of $10,000/minute or $600,000 per hour. I have seen what happens when managers and executives fail to buy redundancy up front and there is a failure down the road - I have seen the lack of a redundant core switch take out a whole data center for an hour and a half - Trust me you do not want to be in the room when the IT director is explaining to the C-levels why his $30,000 savings cost the company about $1,000,000 in...
Not so fast - A fully supported version of RHEL is about $1200 per server, a Windows server 2012 Standard license is about $900
You are kidding right? its just a bunch of namagment apps that run on a desktop OS on desktop hardware, the mac mini is not a server class device just because Apple says it is - where is the redundancy? every component in a macpro or mac mini is a single point of failure with the possible exception of the dual nics in the pro. Can I install VMs of OSX "SERVER" on my company's large blade cluster ESX environment for production purposes? me thinks not...   There is another...
remember the good ole days when people said Apple was doomed, Apple should liquidate and repay the share holders, and other things like that...well MS is still massively larger than Apple was at the time, and still very profitable.MS is nowhere near death spiral...not everyone lives in the apple stores warm glo - some of us live in reality...
Has anyone here ever actually delt with MS Enterprise licensing? this makes nothing but sence to me: there are two ways to license MS products in the enterprise. By user or by device - Its all about the right license for the right user, an engineer with a laptop and a high end workstation would be best served with a user cal so that he/she can use the associated tools on wither without worry of compliance, and on the flip side, a call center seat where there are 3 or 4...
Yes PC makers are afraid to do what Apple does, PC makers are afraid to charge like $1700 for a $900 ultabook, they re afraid to sell a $900 all in one desktop for $1500, they are afraid to sell a 2-generation old tablet in a slightly smaller case and call it a new product, and charge a large premium over competing products.   There is nothing wrong with what Apple is doing, just like there is nothing wrong with BMW or Lexus  charging a premium for a commodity with a...
    I hear people say this a lot but I must say, it seems that none of the people that talk like this have experiance with Windows as of late...   1: After using windows 8 and seeing it evolve from the preview that came out last fall to the RTM that I am running now (as a technet subscriber) I can tell you it gets better every couple weeks, with every set of updates.   2: I switched from iPhone  to the Nokia Lumia 900, and I dont regret it for a second, it is a great...
When you use slave labor to build your products, you have bad QC, go figure, you get what you pay for...
All good network ops already have network optimization in place to handle video/audio conferancing with priority over the punch the monkey web banners or whatever a milisecond delay wont impact...This is not about QoS, this is about access to the data network period for facetime.
As an ATT user who wants to switch, your plan is not goign to be availible to me.