or Connect

Posts by Jag_Warrior

As I mentioned, I'm all for companies maximizing their profits - especially if I own their stock. I'm not criticizing the company for that. As a shareholder, I'm very happy about it. Apple does a very good job (probably better than any other company) of managing its supply chain in a way that component costs (and quantities) are kept to optimal levels vs. projected demand. Apple has one of the highest profit margins on hardware for any tech company. I'm happy about that...
 First, it's not that I posted that to argue with you or anyone else. Second, yes, while Apple was created to sell products, every business is created in order to sell a product or service (at a profit). Apple is hardly unique in that respect. My point is simply that Apple (and every other for-profit, public corporation) seeks (and must seek) to maximize profits as they sell those products. Why do you think Apple has virtually sealed most of its devices and makes even the...
 Good post. I think that Siri (or a more advanced and capable version of it) would be required to make much of what is being discussed in this thread happen. So, can anyone speculate as to why Siri has not yet come to the Mac OS and has been restricted to only iOS devices? As I understand these types of services, it's important for them to be able to "learn" through increased interaction. And the more plentiful, complex and involved the interaction, the more the service...
 The problem you're having is not unique to Apple products. I experienced the very same thing with an IBM ThinkPad that I bought back in 2004 or so. Just after (and I do mean JUST after) it went off warranty, I began experiencing motherboard issues. It was going to cost a fortune to fix it out of my pocket. So I forgot about it and bought a cheap laptop to supplement the one my employer was already providing... plus I had a couple of desktops in my home-office. But during...
 I don't know that it's any more about piling on than it's about people being apologists for Apple, whether there is a real issue to be looked at or not. It most definitely is worth looking at, right? While I have been an Apple customer and "fan" since the mid 1980's, I also realize that it is a for-profit company, not so different from any other for-profit company. And its interests and my interests (as a consumer) might not always be the same. As an AAPL shareholder, I...
  This is the direction that I'm looking forward to. And not just basic home automation but, as I detailed in my post, conditional or "smart" automation. I'm hoping that the new 64 bit processor in the iPhone 5S (and the new iPad?) moves us closer to this. And having Siri and the cloud services "mature" would also be necessary.
I better understand where you're coming from now. And I don't really disagree with your point. No, I don't believe a company should jump through hoops for (activist) investors like Icahn or anyone else. But there is an old saying, when you buy a stock, you're not (really) buying the company. Apple's stock is a good example. The company (AFAIK) is doing just fine. But the stock has been a dog since last year. And what's good for the company or its product offerings may not...
  One takes a company public in order to raise additional funding and/or to (at least partially) cash out those who invested in the company in its private stage. And yes, it comes down to the number of people that want to invest in the company, or if they are emotional (think Facebook), they may be drawn in by a charismatic personality or hyped story. But whether it's longer term investing or shorter term, the enhancement of wealth is the primary purpose of a public...
Great thread. On another forum, I started a thread where I rejected/challenged the use of the word "smart" when referring to the current crop of phones, tablets and TV's. These are just devices which have more features than the previous generation of devices - but they are hardly (truly) smart. I would love to see Apple charge into the area of artificial or predictive intelligence. And if Apple doesn't do it, I have no doubt that someone will.   Although these tasks...
 Well, that would be an interesting "special edition" strategy. It (the color) wouldn't matter to me, but I like that idea.