or Connect

Posts by Jag_Warrior

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/ge-and-quirky-unveil-interesting-new-gadgets.html/?a=viewall   In April, General Electric (NYSE:GE) opened its patent vault to Quirky — a crowd-sourcing company headquartered in New York City that brings products to the marketplace via the interaction between the global community and Quirky’s product design staff. Now, the first four products created under the partnership between GE and Quirky have been unveiled under the joint Wink...
 I'm not aware that I have ever suggested that they should not. So, I continue to be completely baffled as to why people are being so defensive about Apple's profit margins. This simply supports my original point that the primary purpose of the corporate structure (whether it's Apple, Google, Microsoft or Ford Motor Company) is to enhance shareholder value... profits. The Econ 101 supply & demand lesson is that pricing strategies typically follow charging what the market...
 This would be one of the primary reasons I'd absolutely love to get the BBC (and/or Sky) app. But being an American, I'm sure that NBCSports and Bernie would prevent me from watching anything more than GP3 races. But to be honest, since it seems that about 99.9% of American television is now devoted to semi-retarded reality TV, I would be anxious to open my options up to any and all European programming. I've been watching the political drama, Borgen, on LinkTV for about...
  No offense intended, Mel, but if Apple is indeed, as you claim, paying nearly 500% more for RAM in its mobile devices than is being estimated by various sources, then where exactly is the company's iPhone profit margin coming from? Unless certain Apple employees lied under oath during the court proceedings against Samsung, Apple earned gross margins of 49 to 58 percent on its U.S. iPhone sales between April 2010 and the end of March 2012. "So while Apple may be making a...
As I mentioned, I'm all for companies maximizing their profits - especially if I own their stock. I'm not criticizing the company for that. As a shareholder, I'm very happy about it. Apple does a very good job (probably better than any other company) of managing its supply chain in a way that component costs (and quantities) are kept to optimal levels vs. projected demand. Apple has one of the highest profit margins on hardware for any tech company. I'm happy about that...
 First, it's not that I posted that to argue with you or anyone else. Second, yes, while Apple was created to sell products, every business is created in order to sell a product or service (at a profit). Apple is hardly unique in that respect. My point is simply that Apple (and every other for-profit, public corporation) seeks (and must seek) to maximize profits as they sell those products. Why do you think Apple has virtually sealed most of its devices and makes even the...
 Good post. I think that Siri (or a more advanced and capable version of it) would be required to make much of what is being discussed in this thread happen. So, can anyone speculate as to why Siri has not yet come to the Mac OS and has been restricted to only iOS devices? As I understand these types of services, it's important for them to be able to "learn" through increased interaction. And the more plentiful, complex and involved the interaction, the more the service...
 The problem you're having is not unique to Apple products. I experienced the very same thing with an IBM ThinkPad that I bought back in 2004 or so. Just after (and I do mean JUST after) it went off warranty, I began experiencing motherboard issues. It was going to cost a fortune to fix it out of my pocket. So I forgot about it and bought a cheap laptop to supplement the one my employer was already providing... plus I had a couple of desktops in my home-office. But during...
 I don't know that it's any more about piling on than it's about people being apologists for Apple, whether there is a real issue to be looked at or not. It most definitely is worth looking at, right? While I have been an Apple customer and "fan" since the mid 1980's, I also realize that it is a for-profit company, not so different from any other for-profit company. And its interests and my interests (as a consumer) might not always be the same. As an AAPL shareholder, I...
  This is the direction that I'm looking forward to. And not just basic home automation but, as I detailed in my post, conditional or "smart" automation. I'm hoping that the new 64 bit processor in the iPhone 5S (and the new iPad?) moves us closer to this. And having Siri and the cloud services "mature" would also be necessary.