or Connect

Posts by Jag_Warrior

With all due respect, he is correct. The purpose of a (for profit) corporation is to enhance and protect shareholder value/wealth. While Apple (and other corporations) may have other goals as well, anything in their mission statements, which contradicts their fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, can and should be ignored. Some may not like that fact. But as soon as Jobs and the other backers took Apple public, this was the deal they made... whether it was with the...
 Exactly. And that's what so many people (even "journalists") often seem to miss when they talk about innovation or whether or not a product may find success in the market. How often has Apple been first-to-market with particular product categories? I mean, the iPhone was not the first smartphone. The iPad was not the first tablet. And as you pointed out, the iPod was not the first mp3 player. While being first *may* give an initial marketing and sales advantage, it's...
 Especially concerning the dividends, I agree with you. I've often found it odd or amusing when I've read posts here and other places where people actually complain about receiving the dividend. Now, if the existence of a dividend had a direct cause & effect on share price appreciation (or lack thereof), that would be one thing. But that is not the case. At best, you might find a mild correlation. And even then, despite how some people like to think that when the share...
 I feel the same way. Compared to cable in my area, DirecTV is simply the best (or better) option at this time. But I've been with them for roughly 18 years and other than watching my bills steadily increase, I can't say that much has changed in that time frame. I certainly don't feel that I'm getting acceptable value for the amount that I'm paying each month. So within the next 12-18 months, I want to divorce DirecTV and move on to something else, the cost of which must...
 This is very true. Two of the automotive companies that most vigorously and aggressively enforce their trademarks are Ferrari and Shelby. Similar to Apple, making compatible parts for these marques (that don't infringe on patents) won't get you in trouble - it's trying to pass off something that isn't what it purports to be.
 Possibly so. And we won't know until we know. But just going off Apple's previous pattern, I expect that the iPhone 5 will be around for at least one more product cycle, if not two - no matter what the 5C ends up being. The only question I really have is, which model(s) will next get a bullet, the 4 and/or the 4S? The market for smaller screen smartphones seems to be pretty diminished. I don't know what the margins are for either. But does it make sense to keep producing...
    Excellent illustration! This is what I've never understood: almost to a person, everyone who has rationalized their preference for the Surface tablet over something like an iPad (or even some flavor of Android tablet) usually lists the *exact* things that I would just do on a laptop. And when someone says that the Surface has a physical keyboard and the iPad doesn't... uh, I'm pretty sure I've seen iPads docked to keyboards. "But it doesn't have a mouse!" True enough....
  I believe the market (assuming you mean the investment community) is interested in both. The purpose of a lower cost model is to drive volume and marketshare, especially in places like China and India. The flagship's job is to solidify and protect margins.
  That depends on where the price point is for the 5C and what features it has or doesn't have.
  Within a week of setting up my iMac and TBD, that height difference began to really annoy me, so I ordered a SlimKey Stand for the display that puts the TBD approximately .100" or so above the top of the iMac's display - something only I would notice. An added benefit was that I also picked up 4 USB ports and some extra storage space for the Magic Trackpad and the remote (which I seldom use).   I'm now searching for some sort of connection bar or spacer to prevent the...