or Connect

Posts by alandail

For what hardware did they add the acceleration? My question is how does Apple add support for their own custom hardware? The answer is they can't, they are dependent on Adobe to do it. Why should Apple, or any other vendor, be dependent on a 3rd party for something as basic as video playback when there are now clear standards that allow them to implement and optimize the playback themselves?It's just completely backwards to have a structure where implementation of a...
Tell me how apple is supposed to hardware accelerate flash (thus reduce battery drain for playing video) the way they hardware accelerate h.264 decoding?
Do you really not understand the difference between video being delivered in a format that requires a flash plugin and video being delivered in an industry standard format like H.264? In both cases, browsers have to display the video. In the first case, their only choice is a flash plugin, which a 3rd party had to develop for that platform. In the second case, the individual browser developer is in control of how it's displayed. For example, Apple can use quicktime. ...
it is illegal to rip most DVDshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping
plus the $1.25 billion a few years ago in the same referenced article. When you are spending billions to prepay for supplies, you should get preferential treatment.
why are people suggesting MMS is dying? The reason AT&T has been so slow to roll out MMS is because MMS usage will go up dramatically when it's enabled on the iPhone. eMail is fine for many things, but for quick messaging, it's not as convenient as the iChat style messaging on the iPhone. Suggeting MMS is dead makes no more sense than suggesting the iPhone isn't either a pocket computer or a smart phone. Before iPhone, I usually didn't even know where my cell phone...
same thing happens for me with iPhone - not using Moble me or exchange server. Just standard IMAP mail server running on our corporate XServe.
it absolutely is illegal to rip movies. DVDs and Blu Ray have built in DRM, circumventing this to make a copy is a violation of the DMCA, thus is illegal. Audio CDs don't have DRM, thus it is not illegal to RIP those.
No it's not. Bitrate on it's own actually doesn't tell you much at all. for audio, AAC is a far better encoder than MP3 for video, H.264 is a far better encoder than MPEG-2 Like BluRay, iTunes uses H.264 while DVDs use MPEG-2. Apple doesn't have to have the same bitrate for SD content that DVDs have to get comparable quality. The question is how close does the bitrate have to be to offer comparable quality to DVD - they clearly don't have to be the same.
Other than selection, I think Apple has caught up to DVD. Typical network bandwidth isn't fast enough for them to match blu ray. That will change over time. For now, the question is if it's "good enough". It depends on what you're watching. Some movies you want every bit, for others it really doesn't matter all that much. it's interesting, though, that some complain that Apple's quality isn't as high as Blu Ray while others complain their HD content doesn't stream...