or Connect

Posts by alandail

They could be compressing the image more for 3G connections to reduce bandwidth which may require the faster processor in the 4S to get the reliability and performance Apple wants.   See the Siri example, You can hack Siri to run on the iPhone 4 as well, but the 4 doesn't have the hardware support that's built into the 4S that allows for better voice recognition. So in that case it wasn't an arbitrary decision to require the 4S.  I doubt it was just an arbitrary...
  They aren't even targeting the same use.  The only thing they have in common is they stream movies.  How many of the top 100 movies on the iTunes store are even available on Netflix streaming. I would be shocked if the number is more than 5.  Apple doesn't consider netflix streaming a competitor, they even bundle it on the AppleTV.   The question for Apple isn't does Netflix generate more revenue than iTunes movies, it's simply the question of if iTunes movie revenue is...
  thinking something is overpriced is no excuse for stealing. That sort of thinking isn't acceptable for high priced items (like a sportscar), why should it be acceptable for low priced items (like a song, movie, software app)?  Just because it item is digital doesn't mean it doesn't take work to create.   And how much difference is there really between printing a DVD to rent and streaming a digital file?  The DVD costs pennies to make, the cost of those pennies are split...
  Did you really just say $5.99 is too expensive because stealing is free?  Great ethics there.   The other options are price vs convenience tradeoffs.  Get into your car, drive to the video store or kiosk, pick out a movie, find the one you really want is gone and you have to pick something else, bring it home to watch, watch it, then drive back the next day to return it to avoid late fees vs paying a couple of extra dollars to view the new movie you want to watch when...
  I think you missed my point.  A year ago I subscribed to the full netflix subscriptions for DVDs and Streaming because you had to subscribe to both to get streaming.  I never borrowed any DVDs, I just used the streaming.  They split them out, so I dropped the DVD service and went to exclusively a streaming subscription.  THey make less money from me than they did before.   Look at their last quarterly filing.  A year ago they had about 23 million subscribers, streaming...
To add to what I just posted, I rent new movies that aren't on Netflix streaming from iTunes. Netflix doesn't offer a way to stream new movies, not by subscription, not by renting them.
The analysis is flawed. The only thing T changed is the billing model. I used to subscribe to Netflix just for th estqreaming, I never actually ordered DVDs. They changed the billing, I changed my subscription. I pay less money but somehow that represents revenue growth for streaming?
The problem isn't that greenpeace isn't perfect, it's that they attack the companies they should be praising. Apple is making a huge effort to build a solar farm and a fuel cell system to support this data center. This is the sort of thing greenpeace should embrace, instead the put out a report attacking Apple because they know it will generate publicity. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone with the expertise of fecklesstechguy who just posted to get reasonable...
you would think Greenpeace would be praising the company that's building the largest solar farm and the largest fuel cell installation in the country. THe other companies have to be laughing that they are being praised for actually doing far less.
how can anyone claim all attempts at this failed? Hypercard was quite successful. Myst was created with hypercard and released in 1993. It went on to sell 6 million copies to make it the best selling computer game until the Sims passed in 2002.Mishandling Hypercard is one of the bigger mistakes apple ever made. Here are some of the wide variety of apps Hypercard was used forCreating commercial software isn't the only viable use for programming tools. If a programming...