or Connect

Posts by Head_Unit

This happens maybe 1/4 of the time, and it doesn't seem to matter how many applications are open. Mmm, I couldn't say it happens with just one document open but definitely with only two as you can see.   My machine is a 13" Early 2011 MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz, 6GB RAM & memory pressure low, hard drive 1/3 empty, running 10.9.4). Office is 2008.   It's a work machine, and reloading Word or Office is not practical.   Someone had made a suggestion about deleting the...
So I need a better way!   What I really want to do is download the update package (.PKG? .DMG?), copy it to a USB stick, and run the update locally either from the USB or copied to the hard drive.   BUT: - What is the download file called????? (name/kind) - Where is it? I know once I install it disappears, but I should be able to capture it before I actually run the update.   These machines are all at 10.7.5, downloading like 6 small items.   Note: perhaps this is...
I work at a school with a pile of laptops. I need to update the software, and also load Garage Band & iMovie and iTunes etc etc.   Right now they update them wirelessly via Software Update one-by-one, all competing for bandwidth, overloading the network, and often crashing. Or they could pay the IT department $12k to do it for them-yikes.   I'm looking for suggestions for better ways.   Some ideas I have are:   a) Get the download files* onto USB, copy to each...
I have 2 old white 2006 iMacs, a 24" and a 20"   In a recurrence from a week or so ago, the 24" woke up with no connection. After a reboot, it was OK. But today, the same thing. Network diagnostics said to reboot the modem, which I did although it seemed fine. Rebooted the iMac as well. Still nothing. Went into the settings, said no IP address, but on further poking doesn't see any WiFi networks at all. Says ethernet cable is disconnected although I plugged and replugged...
I set up my hostess' machine (core 2 duo, white 2005? 2GB 10.4.11) to Personal Web Share ON under services, it is checked under Firewall, started under Internet.  Tried with no security, 5 digit WEP, 13 digit WEP (those are all the choices in this old OS). Always the same: can see the network on the iPad, select it, wheel spins and spins and the network never connects.  I found a Web page where someone had the same problem, and their iPad showed the same under the...
Yes, it seems so!   But now on the iPad, I can select the network, put in the password, it shows up under settings...and no connection. The icon next to the network name keeps spinning endlessly...   ???
Machine I'm visiting is a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, old white-case iMac, 2GB, OS 1.4.11   I want to use AirPort to feed WiFi to an iPad and iPhone when visiting. I swear I did this once before, but cannot remember how, and Googling didn't help.    Must I upgrade the OS version? (Can I even do so?)   Or is there a setting under Web Sharing that will let me do this?   Thanks!
When it comes to Mac, I often tell people they "gotta drink the Kool-Aid" and just use the stuff as-is.   But with iPhoto, I must contradict myself. I really do not like the weird/random storage scheme my pictures end up in (in my current Lion, I can't even see them at all). I want to download my pictures into folders periodically and KEEP them that way. This also lets me use them on Windows machines.      So: can I copy photos off my camera, iPhone, iPad onto...
Plugged a thumb drive into this iMac (10.6.4 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo Aluminum 2GB). Opened a folder and sub-folder I wanted. Fine.   But many other sub-folders on that drive never open. At the bottom right of the Finder window, the little symbol keeps spinning and spinning endlessly. Nor can I Get Info-never opens. The folders have few contents inside, not photos or movies or anything.    I can copy the never-opening folders to the hard drive, but I'm bugged why this...
So, I installed an SSD into my iMac (2006 last of the white plastics, 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 4GB, Lion 10.7.3). Fan noise! OK, solved by HDDFanControl.com :Cool: Saved some web pages to desk top fine. Try to move anything* to the hard drive..."Cannot be modified" although then it will let me after asking for authentication password. (*well, not anything literally. I made new folders-had to authenticate to create and even to rename those-and moving a folder between those does...