or Connect

Posts by MemeTransport

I have one of these. I never got a burner for it but try the listings at xlr8yourmac.com. They're about as comrehensive as anything. Do you know what system it is running? I'd recommend version 8.1 or 8.6. If it only comes with the original system disk <shudder--old nightmares> then download version 7.5.5 from Apple--it's free. Put in as much memory as you can. You might be surprised at how much 168pin DIMMs still cost though. It's possible to upgrade the machine...
I'll third the NAD. They spend the money on sound and build quality rather than frills and flashing lights. Denon makes some nice stuff too. Consider used stuff also; unless you need the latest greatest surround stuff you can get some great used bargains...especially in two channel. Speakers: Paradigm Atoms or Titans are great as are PSB Alphas (there is a whole line of them). If all this detail is getting you down then the easiest route to go is to get some Monsoon flat...
Suitcase is buggy. I haven't had problems with the install (try running it from OS9?). That said I've had lots of problems:automatically adds multiple copies of itself to my startup routinely crashes during reboots/logins isn't really integrated between OS9 and X, and so you have to add fonts and create sets twice. Fonts have to be turned on/off twice to get them in both OSs it randomly turns on my sets in OSX MenuFonts, never all that good, doesn't seem to work in...
[quote]Originally posted by Programmer: I was thinking much the same thing. Not a bad idea really, as it sidesteps the whole notion that the G4 is obsolete... the G5 would be billed as a workstation/server class machine for those who need really advanced techniques. Hopefully there would be a G4 that is almost equivalent except that it is only 32-bit, but has the other advances incorporated in it.
Funnily enough, this fits in nicely...
If Apple really has 135M shares outstanding then purchasing them at $45 per share works out to 15 to 17 billion bucks. <cough> not going to happen. I suppose IBM could bu enough shares to take effective control of the board (5%?). Given that that is still a wopping big pile of cash, the tech market is still moribund, and the fit questionable it is hard to see IBM doing this. What could they gain they couldn't get through a partnership? Also, Gerstener is retiring...
I used to have a fantasy that Apple would buyout the Alpha project or at least its engineering team. No go obviously. Such a route adds some definite ugliness to Apple's roadmap. Transitioning to OSX is plenty enough for quite a while. Big developers already seem annoyed, can you imagine if they had to deal with a completely different chip architecture as well? [ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: MemeTransport ]

[quote]Originally posted by Programmer: A lot of hardware developers show up at WWDC -- there is no Apple hardware-only show or conference. Personally I think if the OS is going to go 64-bit before WWDC '03, then they will announce it and the chips it'll run on at WWDC... even if the chips won't make it out until '03 (although I hope sooner!). They'll also be talking up the next version of OSX (10.2 or 10.3 depending on whether another release happens before...
[quote]Originally posted by AirSluf: And that they (the sales types) group grope feeling was...
Geez, those sales guys... [Laughing]
Wacked it up quickly so excuse the crudeness. The back side would be curved so that the middle is wide enough to hold the guts and the left and right edges thin enough for the flat speakers to show through the back. Besides the front two legs, there could be a third rear one or it could just rest on its "butt." Having the speakers throw both ways might be annoying in an office (depending on volume) but would give a wider sound field if near a wall--good for...
[quote]My opinion? No PC has ever run on a 64-bit architecture chip
Well, I guess it depends on how you define PC. Itanium is 64bit as well as Alpha, HPs chip, and others. Not as consumer level as Apple for sure though...