or Connect

Posts by GoodGrief

I'll second the point on analogies being a terrible vehicle (no pun intended ... ok, maybe a little pun ;)) for carrying on meaningful discourse. --- That said, just for fun, and not to weigh in on the discussion in any way, I thought I'd just see if I could play with a car-related analogy to fit a little better: Verizon sells a car tire replacement program, they replace your tires as soon as they wear out, but you have to use the tires they make, and the tires last...
I don't think the implication is that a display would consist of only a single layer of graphene. Even if the display surface was the thickness of a sheet of paper, that's still on the order of 400,000 times the thickness of a layer of graphene. That means some incredibly complex arrangements of graphene layers (or perhaps various other useful molecules could be sandwiched in there) while still being transparent and flexible. Also, a display need not be be backlit with...
 An AppleTV can be controlled by just about any IR remote, so you're not stuck with the Apple remote:Apple TV: Using a third-party remote control Also, there's at least one remote that has an iOS app for controlling all the devices it handles, via your (local) wireless network:Logitech Harmony Smart Control
1) Since my response to you was my first in the thread, there is no "again". 2) Despite your convenient failure to recognize the copious hard evidence I provided; I disproved each and every one of your absolute assertions on the basis you provided. This proves that my assertion of your ignorance of the facts (whether it be willful or otherwise) is in fact objectively accurate, and therefore not a 'personal attack'. 3) I will concede that the question of a google search...
 What exactly is the point you're trying to make? That Thunderbolt isn't as inexpensive as you think it should be or that TB wasn't engineered the way you think it should've been? (If so, please do share with us your alternative design that would meet the same performance and functionality goals.) That the less expensive TB controller has lesser feature set? That some accessory manufacturers aren't using all of Thunderbolt's features or functionality?  "Most" TB devices...
No argument on the history. That said, the GUI is just a different representation of the notion we worked with before it existed, using the command line to manually manage the files. The mouse-click replaced the keystroke. User input is different but the underlying idea is the same. It's a digital translation of a concept from the physical world. It was a good paradigm while we were working on developing the underlying systems, but there's a better way to access digital...
 The article (including graphics) is mostly scraped from 3rd party sites, so you're kinda' barking up the wrong tree if you're worried about attributing responsibility for testing procedures. 
 No, that's precisely my point, that the common usage is as the original poster indicated, but technically, storage is memory. I absolutely agree on the possibility for confusion when you're not speaking in clearly defined terms. The issue is that the original poster was contending on the merits of the technical meanings, as implied by the statement referring to the article as being authored by a "tech site", and not by (the ostensibly technically less inclined) "wife's...
 I understand this, but my comparison was intended to highlight the low level physical characteristics of the devices - a semiconductor versus a magnetic platter. It would seem I was not clear expressing myself with respect to the intent of the comparison. A failure on my part. :) The original post I responded to was highlighting a perceived misuse of the terms "memory" & "storage", perhaps the comparison was not as useful as I thought it may be. However, as I also pointed...
  I'd contend that file management isn't so much an important aspect of desktop computing as a holdover from an era when it was a necessary liability (compromise) to make computers usable.  The question is: why, in a modern operating system, do we need to "manage" the data like that at a high level? If I can fire up an application, and the application will tell me all the chunks of data ("files") that it knows how to manipulate, and even filter what it presents to me based...