or Connect

Posts by GoodGrief

No argument on the history. That said, the GUI is just a different representation of the notion we worked with before it existed, using the command line to manually manage the files. The mouse-click replaced the keystroke. User input is different but the underlying idea is the same. It's a digital translation of a concept from the physical world. It was a good paradigm while we were working on developing the underlying systems, but there's a better way to access digital...
 The article (including graphics) is mostly scraped from 3rd party sites, so you're kinda' barking up the wrong tree if you're worried about attributing responsibility for testing procedures. 
 No, that's precisely my point, that the common usage is as the original poster indicated, but technically, storage is memory. I absolutely agree on the possibility for confusion when you're not speaking in clearly defined terms. The issue is that the original poster was contending on the merits of the technical meanings, as implied by the statement referring to the article as being authored by a "tech site", and not by (the ostensibly technically less inclined) "wife's...
 I understand this, but my comparison was intended to highlight the low level physical characteristics of the devices - a semiconductor versus a magnetic platter. It would seem I was not clear expressing myself with respect to the intent of the comparison. A failure on my part. :) The original post I responded to was highlighting a perceived misuse of the terms "memory" & "storage", perhaps the comparison was not as useful as I thought it may be. However, as I also pointed...
  I'd contend that file management isn't so much an important aspect of desktop computing as a holdover from an era when it was a necessary liability (compromise) to make computers usable.  The question is: why, in a modern operating system, do we need to "manage" the data like that at a high level? If I can fire up an application, and the application will tell me all the chunks of data ("files") that it knows how to manipulate, and even filter what it presents to me based...
That's not really accurate. It's an informal convention you're referring to. We often say 'memory' when we mean primary storage, and we just as frequently use 'drive' when we mean secondary storage, because of the physical implementations we became familiar with as computers gained traction modern culture. Memory is storage. "Memory" and "storage" can be used interchangeably when used properly. We typically (and informally]) use "memory" to refer specifically to a...
 You object to the claimed "colluding" that would ensure that the pricing from Apple was less than or equal to the pricing from Amazon while still allowing Apple (and Amazon) to make a comfortable profit margin? Let's see, as of today (January 14, 2014), a selection of eBook prices from the Apple iBooks store and Amazon Kindle store. There some current NYT best sellers, some random books that just showed up on one place or another (and I could find on both), and some old...
Not sure what there is to buy into there. If there's no difference in price, then it [price] is a non-issue and the basis of a value analysis depends on whatever else remains. That's all I was saying. You can question the quality of the experience if you like, but that's not the thrust of my comment. If you don't perceive the iBooks solution to be more valuable then you simply fall into the category of those who don't agree with the value proposition (value-added features...
Ostensibly because it removes the price factor from the equation. The assumption is that a consumer will [almost] always opt for what they deem the 'better' product/service/experience when price is not a consideration. Apple has long targeted (and attracted) buyers that favor perceived quality over price (or at least don't weight the price tag too heavily in their purchasing decisions), so it stands to reason that if they can take the dollar cost issue off the table, then...