or Connect

Posts by EricTheHalfBee

Now it's becoming clear why the A8 has twice the transistors. First they announce improved image signal processing for the camera. Now we see it has H.265 encoding/decoding. I'm betting these two features sucked up a good chunk of those extra transistors. Add in an extra GPU core and storage for the secure enclave and that's probably where that extra billion transistors went. BTW, when is iOS going to support the royalty free and vastly superior VP9¡
 Please show me where someone has tested the Apple Watch and confirmed it gets the same battery life as other smart watches.
The Moto 360 was torn down, and found to have an outdated TI OMAP processor in it. We know Apple has made a custom SoC for the Apple Watch (called the S1), so you've gotta think that with Apples tight control over the hardware and software that they will have an advantage in this area compared to everyone else using off-the-shelf processors.
 Yes and no. I don't think (haven't tired) that you can play 24 bit music files on your iOS device. However, you can record and play 24bit audio using any USB Audio compatible device. Most music recording/production Apps for iOS support 24bit/96KHz. And you can record/play 2,4,8 or even 16 channels at the same time. So it's probably that the Music App doesn't support playing them - it has nothing to do with whether iOS itself can handle 24bit audio. It most certainly can.
Wasn't interested in a watch before, and still not sure if I would be. I'd have to see it in person when they are finally available.   However, it's clear Apple thought about this more than the other companies out there who did just what Apple said not to - take the phone experience and shrink it down to a watch sized device. It shows Apple still pays attention to details (except for that stupid protruding camera ring on the iPhone 6).
So the A8 is 25% faster. However it's also more efficient than the A7.   What I want to know is where are all the extra transistors? A7 was over 1 billion, A8 is over 2 billion. More cache? Memory? Additional GPU's?
 iPhone 5S Geekbench score of 1305 times 1.25 is 1631 or this "rumored" Geekbench score.
Apple has doubled performance 3 years straight. To only offer a modest 25% increase doesn't make sense. Unless they made huge improvements to battery life and/or the GPU (which is lagging the competition). OR, the A8X is back for tablets with CPU and GPU results.
Some over-the-top ideas:   - The iWatch can measure blood glucose for diabetics WITHOUT requiring a skin prick. This would be absolutely HUGE. - Apple buys Intel. Apple starts selling their A-Series processors to other manufacturers to take on Samsung and Qualcomm. - Apple TV is ready and is 100% a-la-carte (no channels or packages, just watch what you want when you want). - Nintendo finally decides to bring their franchise games over to iOS. Exclusively.
:)   I always said that simply tapping your phone instead of a card offers no real advantages for users. And that lower fees and/or a loyalty program make the most sense as something Apple could offer to make it worthwhile to switch to using your phone for payments.