or Connect

Posts by EricTheHalfBee

In what universe do you live in where selling half as many phones as Apple is "dominating"?
 Bingo.  Wouldn't work anymore. The smartphone market has matured and there's not much more you could copy. Besides, if they were stupid enough to make something as blatant as the original Galaxy S was, then Samsung would look like fools. And Apple would likely be very successful in getting a new case to fast-track through the courts and get injunctions while they mattered.
 Square isn't designed to take on and eliminate the big processors. Why would a store that has Moneris (popular terminal in Canada) also start using Square? There's no advantage to them. I didn't mention Square to claim they are an alternative to Moneris. I brought them up as an example of a small company that was able to set up their own payment system that's meeting the requirements of banks and credit card companies to offer an alternative to the big payment...
 First off, I never said NFC was insecure. From the get go I stated that the close-coupling of NFC doesn't make it more secure than other forms of wireless. I was talking about the possibility of sniffing data from NFC vs BT or other wireless technology. All things being equal (the type of data being transferred) there's no difference in security. If there was useful data then it's easier to crack NFC because you can target your sniffer to an exact location to get only the...
 I could ask you the same thing. Are you 100% sure that data sniffed is of ZERO use due to one-time use keys? I am aware of the concept of one-time use cryptograms. To take it further, some systems suggest using a one-time credit card number whereby a randomly generated CC number is created by your phone and passed to the POS terminal which can then "charge" that card number for the amount of the purchase just as if you "swiped" a card instead. The "temporary" card number...
 There are still two aspects to the magnetic induction. One is the data transfer and the other is the using the energy from the induction to power a non-powered device (like a fare card on trains). A phone doesn't need the ability to power external NFC devices for making payments (the phone and the POS terminal are already powered - so they're just transferring data). It may be useful for some people to have a phone that can read non-powered tags (like for doing inventory...
 Why are you talking about magnetic induction? That's completely irrelevant to NFC in phones.  No, what's BS is stating that NFC is somehow more secure than other wireless technologies because of the small distance. Speaking of reading stripes, that actually happened here in Vancouver. Years ago people learned to swipe their own cards and not let your card out of sight (so an employee could skim your card in a separate reader). To get around that, POS terminals in stores...
 The "close proximity" argument is false. It's actually the opposite (as I explained in detail previously on AI). All a crook has to do is install a small NFC reader under the terminal. Every single transaction they record is going to be a financial transaction. This is a gold mine for criminals. Now think of BT. If a crook has a BT reader near the terminal it's going to be picking up a LOT of garbage. Not just transactions, but iBeacons, devices searching for others to...
Bull. You spend money inventing something you have every right to patent it and charge others to use it (or prevent others from using it).You don't have a clue what a patent troll is if you think it's the "epitome" of being a troll. Here's a hint: owning a patent and not using it doesn't make you a troll. Collecting money from patents you own (but don't use) does not make you a troll either. Even patent assertions entities that make nothing but license patents aren't...
 Companies patent things invented through R&D all the time. Not everything they work on in the lab gets into an actual device, but they still patent it. If you invented it, and spent money inventing it, then you need some protection even if you don't use it.