or Connect

Posts by EricTheHalfBee

Googles data has always reflected those that can access Google Play. That's where activations come from - devices that can't access Play aren't counted.The big change they made are devices that have "recently" accessed Google Play. This weeds out older devices that people might not be using as much. It's more useful for developers as they need to know who's using their phones, but the fandroids like to take the data and claim JB is on 34% of ALL Android phones, which isn't...
  There are a gazillion places that repair iPhones/iPads. Seems once someone posts up a DIY on how to do it a bunch of people go "hey, I can make money fixing iPhones". Here in Vancouver there are dozens - call one up and they come to your house and fix it in their minivan. Real professional.
^ You still don't get it. This type of information should not be available to developers at all, regardless of whether they are Sony or other company (poor choice, BTW, considering Sony's history - remember the "malware" they installed on PC's). Having this available to developers means that unscrupulous people can write their own test Apps and start trying to reverse engineer what's going on inside the device when various "find my phone" functions are executed. This is...
  Sure it does. In order for a 3rd party to offer advanced features (like locking or bricking a phone) they need access to API's. If they can access them what's to stop someone from using this API in a regular App to screw a bunch of people over?   This type of functionality should not even be made available to developers.
Of course now that evidence from both sides comes out things aren't so clear-cut anymore.
I think the suggestions about not allowing the phone to be turned off and having a pass code for cold restart/settings are the most useful ideas. Don't let the thief prevent tracking and don't give them the opportunity to connect the phone and erase/restore it. That would kill most thefts and be easy to implement without stepping on anyone's rights. Still surprised Apple has Find My Phone while Android doesn't (you need an App). Something that serious (tracking and/or...
Another article hinted at geolocation so if you're walking down a street and there was a sale on at a nearby store that you'd hear that ad. If its free and the music selection is good (meaning the "suggested" music is consistent with my tastes) then I'll listen. A couple ads is better than ads + useless DJ commentary + news/weather.
  Except the only phones that run KNOX are the GS4, later model GS3's (early ones are missing hardware to run it) and I believe the Note II. So that billions turns into about as many iPhones as Apple sold last quarter.
Ah, GG, still posting limited portions of decisions to try and skew the "spirit" of what happened.   Motorola got a serious smackdown and ended up with a fraction of what they were asking, no matter whose "method" you use to calculate. Another quote from the decision by the judge:   "only constitutes a sliver of the overall technology incorporated"   Which shoots down Motorola's "one bullet can kill" theory. It's asinine for Motorola to think their small...
They're assuming that the ban will start in exactly 60 days. Apple has already said they will appeal so I think the chance the ban actually comes into effect is slim. Should be easy to drag this out a couple more months and turn that "minimal" impact in "zero" impact.   Or Apple could turn this around. Have a fire sale and sell off old models at steep discounts to clear inventory. Makes their minimal loss even smaller and gives them some good will with customers (and...