or Connect

Posts by tooltalk

Sometimes, I wonder it's written by Samsung product development team. 
 @Spacepower: No, go back and read Mueller's blog:  "There's nothing in the stipulation that indicates why Samsung made this decision, but whatever the reason(s) may be, it's a good thing in my view. Samsung has already prevailed over Apple on SEPs in different jurisdictions (including at the ITC last year, though an import ban was ultimately vetoed). It makes sense for Samsung to focus on non-SEPs at the upcoming trial, and especially on its proven defensive...
 @bloggerblog:  Samsung owns over 100,000+ patents worldwide; or 38,000+ US patents alone.   Yes, Samsung is the largest LTE patent holders in the world, along with Qualcomm and in many other areas like manufacturing, design, process, etc.. Sure, no. Samsung isn't Apple who goes around apeshit and toss lawyers at anyone who looks like them.  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409669,00.asp Now, can we please stop with these baseless rumors already? 
 Yes, we call this "confirmation bias."
 @snova: Sure, Judge Koh played her role - by rejecting disproportionate amount of Samsung's expert witnesses and crucial evidences on procedural ground. You know, it takes two to tango.  And, no.  The damage only re-trial whittled down the first jury verdict by $150M which isn't too shabby.
 @ruddy: Sure, but neither left or right cases you cited support your claim. In the former, Judge Posner states: To begin with Motorola's injunctive claim, I don't see how, given FRAND, I would be justified in enjoining Apple from infringing the '898 unless Apple refuses to pay a royalty that meets the FRAND requirement. In this particular case, Motorola had to prove that Apple was not a willing licensee to get an injunction, consistent with common FRAND practices and the...
 No. 1) SEP holders can still still injunctive relief, but they raised the bar for SEP related lawsuits.  Accord to the policy statement dated January 8, 2013 (p. 6): "... An exclusion order may still be an appropriate remedy in some circumstances, such as where the putative licensee is unable or refuses to take a F/RAND license and is acting outside the scope of the patent holder’s commitment to license on F/RAND terms. For example, if a putative licensee refuses to pay...
 @Daveinpublic: 
 Ah, I see. Bloomberg also reports: " ... Currency moves cut about 700 billion won from earnings, and the company made bonus payments to workers and boosted marketing as it prepares to release its new S5 high-end device to battle Apple."​
 It probably has a lot do to with the fact that the S5 is coming out soon -- Apple sales often peaks in 4Q (or 1Q for Apple); then steadily declines until the next iPhone release.  Samsung's profit is likely to surpass Apple's in 2Q and 3Q this year.  I think it's pointless to sponsor every single major world sports events (eg, the summer / winter Olympics), or buy celebrity endorsement -- though not all of them are bad (eg, Jay-Z bad, LeBron James cool).  Now, I don't...