or Connect

Posts by tooltalk

No,  Infineon or Qualcomm can't dictate how much Motorola charges its own customers. 
  There are several lawsuits going on between Moto (Google) & Apple. Do you understand the difference between the plaintiff and the defendant?     Case No. 11-CV-178-bbc Hon. Barbara B. Crabb   APPLE INC., Plaintiff,           v. MOTOROLA MOBILITY, INC. Defendant.   (hint: it's' almost always the plaintiffs who initiate lawsuits).   ROFL!!  Of course, that must be why Apple is gaming the US patent system.   Duh! Apple'd better have respect for standards - after all,...
    Can you then explain why Apple asked the court to set a FRAND rate in the first place?   Yes, precisely, that's why judge Crabb tossed the lawsuit.    Apple is required to pay what everyone else pays?  why?  because you said so?  ROLF!!
  Most of Apple's LTE patents are from Nortel - and I'm pretty sure all the existing licensing agreements between Moto & Nortel are still binding.    If I understand correctly, Apple has only ONE SEP H.264 patent in the pool - most H.264 SEP patents are held by Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, LG, Motorola (6+%), and other real tech companies.  I don't hear Apple whining about the H.264 royalty rates, so I'm guessing Samsung & Moto are being more than generous here.    It's...
  http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012110322254380   From the judge's order:   ...Apple states that it will not commit to be bound by any FRAND rate determined by the court and will not agree to accept any license from Motorola unless the court sets a rate of $1 or less for each Apple phone....   In other words, if Apple is unsatisfied with the rate chosen by the court, it “reserves the right to refuse and proceed to further infringement litigation.” ......
  I believe GE's effective rate is about 12%..  far from "nothing". 
  try telling that to Tim Cook.  He also insists that iPad mini is not a 7" iPad.      http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57541135-37/fact-checking-tim-cook-on-7-inch-tablets-and-microsofts-surface/     The 7-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad. Cook's response was that Apple didn't make a 7-inch iPad, but rather an iPad with a display that was closer to 8 inches -- nine-tenths of an inch bigger than a 7-inche
  Samsung parts are basically much superior in terms of quality and quantity.  Apple's reduced order from Samsung apparently has nothing to do with their rivalry, more to do with Apple's penny-pinching.  Yes,  Apple is basically cutting corners now.    So we as consumers lose when Apple starts dumping inferior craps and still charge the premium for Apple's elaborate packaging.
    I think Apple approached Samsung when iPad 2's LG-made displays started having that infamous light leakage prob in early 2011.  I don't think Samsung and Apple had a lot of display business until that point.  Toshiba made tft displays for Apple's earlier iPhones.  So I don't really see where Samsung's display fits in Apple's supply chain.