or Connect

Posts by tooltalk

speaking of Lighthouse, http://jonathanischwartz.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/good-artists-copy-great-artists-steal/
  It probably doesn't help that the accusation is coming from a paid, anti-Android shill, Florian Mueller?   http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120724125504129
  it really depends on what you are reading, though I have to agree tha MSM seems to favor Apple - obviously not even without hearing Samsung's defense/offense.   Try non-fanboy, anti-FUD sites like Groklaw.net, for instance.
  Very unlikely,  IIRC, Toshiba and LG were the main suppliers of panels for the early generations of iPhone.  I don't think Samsung makes iPhone's display panel to this date - though Apple had to go beg Samsung for iPad 2 and the new iPad when LG (and Sharp) started having manufacturing problems.  
  There is nothing preventing companies from cross-licensing on bilateral basis. It just means that it will be a bit more cumbersome to work out licensing & some patents won't be available to much wider audience, like Apple. 
  Welcome to AI - home of the birther movement.
  Yep..  that was when judge Koh refused to grant injunction against Samsung - which was later overturned.    It's difficult to tell Koh is really biased - seems like the mainstream media coverage of the case is overly favorable to Apple, while others, Groklaw for instance, seem to side with Samsung. Then you have self-claimed patent-expert Florian Mueller, a paid anti-Android shill, whose commentaries routinely show up on Cnet, AI, etc..   
    I don't think there is any denial that Samsung tries to emulate Apple's success (and packaging designs), but consider the following    "... When Apple was developing its campaign to promote the first iPhone, it considered – and rejected – advertisements that touted alleged Apple ―firsts with the iPhone. As one Apple employee explained to an overly exuberant Apple marketer, I don‘t know how many things we can come up with that you can legitimately claim we did first....
  I said less than $15.. Microsoft's initial asking price was $15, but nobody pays the asking-price - HTC was known to have struck a deal with Microsoft for $5. Samsung makes low / high end smartphones and is known to be paying anywhere between $1 - $5 per unit (or ~1% of total cost).    You seriously don't think Microsoft is collecting $5B in Android patents licensing fees alone, do you?
  I believe the licensing fee Microsoft is collecting is quite trivial - less than $15 per unit.   The presentation doesn't seem to cover any design patents (look & feel) in question - so I'm guessing that the patents listed in the presentation are either trivial or invalidated.  If I remember correctly from last year's lawsuit in Austrialia, Apple was willing to license non-core/junk patents only.   Well, consider that no courts in Netherland, Austrialia, Germany or UK...