or Connect

Posts by tooltalk

@ruddy: Sure, but neither left or right cases you cited support your claim. In the former, Judge Posner states: To begin with Motorola's injunctive claim, I don't see how, given FRAND, I would be justified in enjoining Apple from infringing the '898 unless Apple refuses to pay a royalty that meets the FRAND requirement. In this particular case, Motorola had to prove that Apple was not a willing licensee to get an injunction, consistent with common FRAND practices and the...
 No. 1) SEP holders can still still injunctive relief, but they raised the bar for SEP related lawsuits.  Accord to the policy statement dated January 8, 2013 (p. 6): "... An exclusion order may still be an appropriate remedy in some circumstances, such as where the putative licensee is unable or refuses to take a F/RAND license and is acting outside the scope of the patent holder’s commitment to license on F/RAND terms. For example, if a putative licensee refuses to pay...
 @Daveinpublic: 
 Ah, I see. Bloomberg also reports: " ... Currency moves cut about 700 billion won from earnings, and the company made bonus payments to workers and boosted marketing as it prepares to release its new S5 high-end device to battle Apple."​
 It probably has a lot do to with the fact that the S5 is coming out soon -- Apple sales often peaks in 4Q (or 1Q for Apple); then steadily declines until the next iPhone release.  Samsung's profit is likely to surpass Apple's in 2Q and 3Q this year.  I think it's pointless to sponsor every single major world sports events (eg, the summer / winter Olympics), or buy celebrity endorsement -- though not all of them are bad (eg, Jay-Z bad, LeBron James cool).  Now, I don't...
Samsung is doomed.  The first QoQ decline after 7 consecutive record quarterly profit.  With only $6.7B in profit last quarter, they would surely have to shut down their shop immediately!     Expect an obituary from our famed spinmeister, Dan Dilger  -- LOL!!
 Appleinsider is all about *rumors*; no *insider* news. 
 @Red Oak: not necessarily very good drives.  I think Samsung's flash memory market share is close to 45% (and still growing) -- followed by Toshiba with 25% or so.  If you are a volume buyer like Apple, you simply can't avoid dealing with Samsung. 
 Wrong. Samsung is one of the largest communication patent holders in the world -- their LTE patents alone number in 1000+ with 100+ seminal patents.  Samsung's patents are either widely licensed at affordable rate as essential patents or primarily as defense patents.  
 Why would a highly-centralized company who couldn't care less about its largest customer's patents, all of sudden, find itself so worried about separation between different divisions?  (note the key word "highly-centralized").   why do you want to believe so badly that Apple's move was a surprise or that Apple did something that was technically impossible, difficult or innovative? No. you are absolutely right, Samsung isn't stupid -- of course, they knew Apple was working...