or Connect

Posts by tooltalk

@sd-diver : Sure, but is that what's driving "market demand" for your car or Mercedes?   If folks are buying Mercedes just because of the wireless functionality, yes, otherwise, no. 
 @tmay : Sure, IEEE is one organization who thinks patent holders "may charge a reasonable royalty that is based, among other things, on the value that the patented technology contributes to the smallest salable component of the overall product," but it doesn't speak for all SSO's dealing with different kind of patents.  And, further, there is absolutely no court rulings affirming such trend toward the smallest salable unit.  I think we also reviewed a couple of court...
 @tmay : I think we had this debate before.  Again, while I agree that some type of "apportionment" rule should be used to determine a royalty rate, I don't agree that all FRAND/non-FRAND rates should be based on the "smallest salable unit." There are already some analytical frameworks to determine whether or when a component or an entire-product royalty basis is appropriate.  In this particular case, Ericsson is a major contributor to various communication standards at...
 @rob53: please, read your own citation "...For its part, Apple in January filed a lawsuit against Ericsson for charging excessive royalty rates for 4G LTE technology, arguing the Swedish firm's IP is non-essential. Following Apple's legal move, Ericsson quickly countered with its own complaint in Texas.  ..." Apple started it in January, ahead of Ericsson's ITC complaints and Texas lawsuits. 
 @tmay : not sure what you mean,  Apple routinely used the Dusseldorf and Munich courts to sue competitors -- and won preliminary injunctions on a few occassions, though they were all eventually lost or reversed in appeal.  And let's not forget Rockstar, Apple's proxy war with Google, based in Plano, TX. 
Just checked Kantar's stats, which contradict the title of this article : Android's share increased and iOS lost marketshare in all 5-EUs. The only notables markets where iOS made gain are China, Argentina and Mexico.           3e Jan 2015   3e Mar 2015 UK    40.1%     38.1%   (-) FR    20.2%     19.4%   (-) ES    10.4%      7%   (-) GER   18.7%    18.3%   (-) IT      18.3%     17.5%   (-)   US    42.8%    36.5%   (-) CH    25.4%    26.1%  (+) JP     52.4%  ...
 @sog35: I think we've been through this before.  Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?         According to Strategic Analytics, Samsung in 4Q '14 made about 15.5M non-smartphones (feature phones). I'm not sure why they would stop making feature phones all of sudden in 1Q '15, or perhaps I could just ignore your rant.  Samsung's sales is down only by 0.1% QoQ and this "can be" attributed to the lower sales in feature phones (and tablets).  As discussed before,...
 @leavingthebigG : this particular non-compete case has little to do with IP theft -- none accused or proven so far -- and, as many in the industry noted, it's somewhat laughable to claim the one single former employee, who left the company 6 years ago, accused of breaching his noncompete had all to do Samsung's 14nm process today.  Further, I'm not generally too crazy about any restriction on hiring and in many places it's very difficult to enforce something like...
 @leavingthebigG :  TSMC never sued Samsung.  TSMC sued a former TSMC employee, Liang Mong-song, who left the company almost 6 years ago for his breaching of noncompete agreement.   If you believe that TSMC had a working 14nm processing back 2009, sure, Samsung did steal TSMC's tech.  I'm, however, inclined to agree with ExtremeTech's Joel Hruska's take on the charges:  and, being that CommonWealth is a Taiwanese trade mag, I'm not too surprised by their spin on this.  I...
 @konqerror: eh?  Common Platform is long gone.  TSMC's processing is based on Intel's whereas CP from IBM's, but with IBM gone or now part of GF, Samsung is leading the pack (or GF).   TSMC never had 14nm processing -- they are still trying to get 16+nm up and running later this year -- and Samsung copied TSMCM's 14nm process?  Umm, which planet are you from?