or Connect

Posts by ddo2

Thanks, that is helpful. I've done some other reading and some suggest that the router firmware needs updationg, so I may give that a whirl. The iPad is right out of the box, but the Mac is a few years old, so maybe it could use an Airport firmware update. But, as it effects them both, I'm not sure that's it. FWIW, the repeater is set up by plugging it, via Ethernet, into the router, and then assigning the same WEP and channel. Then, you move it a location roughly...
I recently installed a wireless repeater to cover certain areas with low coverage including my wife's Mac and my kid's Windows machine. It works - speed is up - but both the Mac and my iPad get dropped from the network sometimes. The fix that I can do is to turn off my wireless router (not the repeater) and then then work again. This does not happen with the Windows machines, or the handful of other devices with Internet connections (DVD, game console, etc.) so I'm...
I'm going to ignore the latent Microsoft and Windows bashing. What I find interesting is that traditionally, the screen has been the biggest power hog in most modern electronics. Clearly robust processors with numerous cycles and extended memory are also a factor (as anyone who has ever done significant overclocking will tell you) in sucking battery, but I'm sort of shocked that RAM is that big of a factor. I guess it certainly is a bigger factor than the screen in the...
This is a good point. But the open market is a double edged sword. As an android phone user, and I do think that the Droid-based phones work very well and are well constructed. And, I do like the open App approach, but, this also leads to fraudulent Apps that hang around way longer than controversial/fraudulent Apps in the iTunes world. For months there was several versions of a droid version of cut the rope, none of which were real, that, once you read the reviews,...
I think that's right. But, I also think there's something special about the iPad that, like iPod, created its own genre and thus attempts to copy it will be futile. I don't see anyone buying a Zune today, and it's entirely likely that the same fate will befall other tablets. It's a market Apple created and thus owns. That isn't true with the iPhone. There were other smartphones and web devices before the iPhone and there will continue to be. Phones, like computers are...
Guys, there are plenty of people who are bi-modal, myself included. Fixed computers, I use PCs. Why, because I'm a hardware nerd and I like building, something Apple makes difficult. My wife has a Mac. I have an iPod. My phone is a droid, because, quite frankly, its a better phone (you know, for talking to peopl), IMHO. The android OS is fine, but really, an OS is just a platform, so I don't get the religious devotion to either. I'm in the market for a tablet, and...
Excellent, thanks. It's hard to argue with an option.
For those of you who track iOS features closely: as I understand it, one of the key features is that you no longer need to sync a devise with a separate computer (a great innovation, IMHO, which makes the iPad more like a real tablet computer rather than a large iPod). Further, I understand that a primary way of syncing will be via the iCloud. But, what if I have a large amount of stuff (pictures, music, whatever) that I want to upload to the iPad with iOS 5. Would you...
I'm curious if Samsung's shot across the bow regarding the iPhone 4S in Europe might give Apple renewed interest in settling this. Classic IP litigation: I show you my portfolio, you show me yours and we'll see who's got the bigger stack.
Please. I have a Galaxy smartphone. I have a Tab. My wife has an iPad and an iPhone. They don't look like each other except that they are rectangular, have a touch screen and are largely all glass covers. This needs to go away and there's room for both. If this ends up in a protected patent IP fight, things can go sideways in a second.