or Connect

Posts by GregAlexander

I haven't looked into the specifications for water proofing for 20 years, since I worked as a Divemaster.   But I remember at the time that a watch pressure tested to 200m was given a 50m rating. Pressure testing to 100m (as my cheap watch was) was rated for swimming. Pressure test to 50m and it was able to be used in the rain without a problem.   I had thought it was a funny system - but essentially it's a very controlled test that allows standardised comparisons...
Does anyone else think there's not really much about the Apple Watch in this article, it's mainly about the phones?
I kind of wonder why the scanning components couldn't be separate to the watch. That way perhaps those health components could be built into a water proof band with a longer battery life (no screen & interface), and be usable in bed and in the pool. Probably a bad idea having 2 'devices'
 We're borderline on 1TB now... does it work if we go over? I'd much rather buy 200GB/year and have it use my home iMac as the master copy.  Put a full-quality version of images online at first (plus any recent changes), then once the appropriate syncing is finished keep the full copy only on my home Mac and keep a compressed copy online. 
Where does wifi factor into this? And why aren't there multinational MVNOs? We need handsets that use wifi for most calls, switch to cellular very cleanly when wifi quality drops, and uses the stratosphere towers when out of cellular range (or to augment data provision).
You talk as if you can't do that already? It doesn't SHOW your location well, but it locates you VERY well with wifi. I use it with Find my Friends to find my wife in shopping centres. There are at least 3 problems with Apple's current implementation:1) there's no 3D map ability to show me different floors on the map - so I could be straight above or below her2) it doesn't overlay a map of the shopping centre to show me shops or layouts3) it doesn't show me what direction...
There are actually other options Apple could pursue with A8 chips etc.   * my comment above - an iPad with keyboard could look like a thinner MBA.   * Take an AppleTV and combine it with a retina iMac... and you get a 4K smart TV. With iOS derived apps of some type?   * Terminals... I've always wanted to buy ONE Mac, and have 4 terminals. The terminals could use ARM chips.   None removes OSX. 
I don't think they'll transition the Mac, at least not yet. The mere rumour and capability of transitioning will keep Intel providing cheaper chips to Apple too.   On the other hand, I do think this can be looked at from the other angle, as an iPad with a keyboard. Call it the 'iBook'.   Touch screen, 64GB SSD, iOS, Retina Display, bundled with Pages, Numbers. Many apps - Email, Safari, Facebook, MS Office available. A 13" widescreen is the same height as a 9.7" iPad...
 Are we absolutely sure Sony didn't do this for publicity. Sony paid too much for a film that wasn't getting big audience approval ratings. The film is a comedy about murdering an oppressive government dictator. Reviews said it was average (with great moments), and it was up against the big hitter Christmas releases (Hobbit etc). Sony then get hacked with a message to not show the movie. They capitulate. There is a media circus about how the actual oppressive government...
I think the concept is great, but this doesn't quite get there. Good start.   All our needs are slightly different, but it seems the Apple watch is a) a sensor device b) a display device   Most of the attention is on the display of the Watch - but really I have no need of having both display and sensor in the same device.    If the real value of the device is in the sensor being on for long periods, then a soft, long-life band is useful (for me, I want it to...