or Connect

Posts by Carthusia

As for pricing, I don't see Apple pricing a less expensive iPhone at the same level as the current iPod Touch and think they can get away with something even more expensive than the iPad mini and it's hard for me to believe Apple would ship a phone less expensive than the $299 Nexus 4. I see an 8 GB model somewhere in the $349-$379 range with LTE.   In terms of marketing, I can imagine a global rollout of a less expensive iPhone, not one limited at all by region. If EU...
Interesting thread, indeed. here's my $.02:   Apple was speculatively bubbled by margin hogs and then imploded by well-intentioned profit-takers and ruthless Wall Street shorts. It's that simple and has little or nothing to do with the realities of Tim's leadership.   Apple's delayed launches and product contraints (where they actually exist) have plenty of precedence and may currently be attributed, in part, to a) a new SVP of Operations who is not named Tim...
What you are suggesting is a whole other level of fragmentation-not UI fragmentation, mind you, but market fragmentation. I just don't see that at all. I'm not aware of any time in Apple's history when an entire hardware product was excluded from the US market. That would be a PR nightmare. Can you imagine all of the US and European customers that would be livid with Apple not allowing them to purchase a low-cost iPhone? (Not to mention there are plenty of price-sensitive...
If a fingerprint scanner is at all associated with the home button (dumb idea), a problem may be to disallow unwanted presses of the button when attempting a scan. Maintaining a mechanical home button would perhaps mitigate against an errant press, as some force is needed. If they're going this route, it would be interesting to see how a scanner could be embedded into the current physical key. They are not going with redesigned mechanical home button to solve this...
That sounds great in theory, but if you're Apple how do you take it to market? Who would pay significantly more on-contract for that phone? In subsidy-based markets like the US, the elderly certainly wouldn't in any large numbers. Teens who otherwise might gravitate to big phones as a single-screen computing solution wouldn't pay an extra hundred bucks or so subsidized. Those both are fairly price-sensitive demographics who, not coincidently, may care less about such high...
Sure, but does the bitching and moaning really matter? Look at what that the b&m hasn't done to the iPad mini. With the iPad mini, Schiller was deft enough at marketing it that there was virtually no PR backlash, even at a significantly higher price than the so-called competition. I'm not convinced the phone category would be any different.  
At a 5" display size a minimum viewing distance for Retina at 13" doesn't seem too far-fetched to me. In fact, it seems about right.
Good point. Probably it'll be best to hold off to check out a slimmer/lighter iPad later in the year. If they achieve the same release cycles going forward the choices will be easier to make.
$400,000,000?!? I'm not asking for "proof", but WOW! That's much more than I would have guessed. On another note, I thought the JCP rebranding was too much, too soon. None of the commercials or promotionals I saw seemed to ease the customer to equating JCP with JC Penny. Just a thought.
I'm surprised Tim didn't take out a restraining order or get an Apple security goon after you.