or Connect

Posts by Arlor

I had wondered if this problem just affected the couple stores I've been to. The Kansas city one is especially egregious. Whenever I've been there it's been thronged and the bodies unfortunately do nothing to quash the racket.
 Apple's design aesthetic is sort of the minimalist extreme of the current glass and steel trend in building design, with a very high glass:steel ratio. I like it, but I don't think they're still going to look the same 20 or 30 years from now (or at least the new ones being built then won't look the same).  The original iMacs hardly proved timeless. And Steve did do that!
 Out of curiosity, why's that meaningless? An iPhone can also be used for "rudimentary basics." My mother-in-law uses hers that way.
 You gotta bet that some of Apple's more technical people's eyes are twitching, though!
 Even though the iPad 2 is running an A5, I suspect Apple may try to get another OS generation out of it. Apple was still selling the 2 until the Air came out, right (i.e. the 2 is the third generation back by development but only the second by sales)? And even later than that to educational and institutional customers.  edit: But a good point is made above: the iPhone 4 was still being sold as new even late last year, and that's not covered by iOS 8, much less 9. Still, I...
 An iPad, even a mini, doesn't fit in a pocket. I like my iPad, but I don't like having to carry something extra around with me that won't fit in my clothing if I don't have to. I prefer not to carry a briefcase or purse or, god forbid, a fanny pack. I can read documents on a 5" screen just fine, and even edit them when it comes to text. If I want to do anything more than that, I'm not likely to be doing it out in public anyway. 10 years ago I had a Nextel i1000 (egad, a...
 99% of the time -- actually probably more than 99% of the time -- I use my phone as a pocket-sized computer rather than as a phone. Thus screen size trumps the rare occasions when some anonymous person on the internet might judge me for having a "big" smartphone that's still quite a bit smaller than cell phones from ten years ago.
 I didn't agree with him; I tried to point out that you were mischaracterizing his post.  Jumping straight to "every option that a user wants" is pure hyperbole and has nothing to do with what either of us said.
 Smartphone market penetration is so high that I doubt you're a very common case. If Apple does leave smaller screen sizes behind, it will be interesting to see whether Samsung etc. try to take advantage. But I suspect that most  Apple customers will continue to believe that Apple's making the right sized screens, whatever that size happens to be this year. 
 He didn't suggest making always on the default; he suggested making it an option.