or Connect

Posts by Misa

I think many people read too much into Apple's patents.   What we're seeing in the patents are just ideas, not products that are sitting on a shelf ready to ship.   The best "keyboard tablet" already exists, it's called a laptop, many vendors make them. There used to be models where you could detach the "screen" part and use it as a tablet, where the keyboard part had the other optional parts like the optical drive and additional usb ports. They were heavy, nobody wants...
  You're clearly have never worked for AT&T :)   This is what you get told "You must do X (sell X number of phones, renew X number of contracts) or you get zero bonus, you must show them at least Y different choices", so as the sales rep you do whatever it takes to meet the quota, even if you have to lie through your teeth. The easiest way to do that? Show a customer something that is cheaper. Then when they object to being shown something they don't want, relent and sell...
  - Pushing sales is an Americanism, work for any retail company in the US, or any Retail company in a foreign country owned by a US company, and the management is the same "make these impossible metrics, or you're fired", any wonder why Americans need so much medication and caffeine just to function. I'm being facetious.   Not being about the money means that they're not letting Wall St pull their strings, pushing quantity instead of quality. You see this with the latest...
  Yup, because either: - Sales commission, bonus or service contract is worth more to the store and employee - Seniors and "moms" are the most gullible targets in an electronics store.   I can't tell you how often sales people try to sell me something I don't want. When I go into these stores, I already know exactly what I want and ignore the sales people.   But mobile phones are a confusing mess. I went into the Samsung store and couldn't tell one model from another. At...
Nokia doesn't just make phones. It also makes wireless infrastructure ( http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/portfolio/products )   Nokia squandered their position when they were ahead, and then repeatedly did nothing to adjust to market forces (look how long it took for a flip phone, when Americans were demanding flip phones.) Also take a look at flubs like the n-Gage.   Also look at RIM. Failure to adjust to market forces.   What we had, before Apple came along and ate...
I'm going to jump in here...   We're talking about three different issues: 1. Windows 8 UI 2. Valve's "App Store" that predates both Apple and Microsoft's 3. DRM.   As far as the UI is concerned, I hate it on the Xbox, it's basically 60% of the screen real estate dedicated to ads. This is not what I want on the desktop. I think Windows peaked on the UI front with Windows 95, and should have left it alone instead of bolting on layer after layer of eye candy. If Microsoft...
This very much.   If you notice, Safari (and Chrome) are still 32bit on Windows, and Chrome is a horribly bloated pig no matter what OS is being used. You only get 64-bit in Nightly Firefox, or Internet Explorer. But the 32-bit version of IE is used by default on Windows. It would be best if Microsoft does not release another 32bit-x86 OS as an OEM version (upgrade only) as doing so is just going to keep holding back developers from making 64bit software.   Herein lies...
Having experience working at said wireless company, I speculate one of two things are going to happen:   1. AT&T, Verizon, etc are going to make video calls routeable QoS. Similar to how the SMS to iMessage system is seamless, what's likely going to happen is that if you call another mobile device with a video chat application (be it FaceTime or not) it will switch to the native transport at the carrier end. 2. AT&T, Verizon etc are just going to block FaceTime over...
I doubt repair-ability and recycle-ability are the same thing in EPEAT's eyes. If the glass in the iMac, rMBP, iPad, iPhone can't be removed without shattering, that's a problem. If the batteries can't be removed without breaking their contents, that's a problem. However choice of screws is non-issue, since it's trivial to buy screw drivers.    Where I question design over function is the the battery had to be glued in the first place, is it so that the batteries can...
Sometimes "Good enough" is only good enough. Many people are perfectly happy with non-Apple devices. There are also plenty of people who want the Apple OS, but not the hardware Apple produces. All the hackintosh people would love a legal way to run OS X without having to buy Apple hardware. Yet many of these people building the things, are only doing so because Apple doesn't produce any bleeding edge models. Your average PC gamer probably built their PC or at least...