or Connect

Posts by Misa

I think this is missing the point. The LTE radio and potentially larger screen will drain the battery faster than the previous model. If you don't increase the power density at the same physical size than you have to increase the size of the phone to accommodate a larger battery at the previous power density , which then in turn requires a re-engineering. I'd be somewhat disappointed if they make the iPhone larger that changes the resolution, as that will just anger the...
  It probably has more to do with antenna design. With UMTS and LTE using more than one frequency band, you need a better designed antenna, and simply allowing the end-user to plug any old thing into it, will probably result in severe power consumption or damage, let alone exposing the user to the RF.   I stopped seeing external antenna connections on devices as soon as GSM devices became available, with the last device with one having being a GAIT device. Since then...
  Sounds like the wires to your HVAC system were not color coded correctly (or there is a second control panel overriding it.) Not unheardof, how many people actually check the colors of their wiring in their home after stuff is installed? Back in the 90's I've run into places that had the Ring and Tip wires reversed on their phone lines, so every time they tried to use a dial-up modem, all their phones would ring, and nothing would connect.   What is most likely the...
Why don't you just advocate piracy while you're at it.   People, if there is a specific type of ad that is a problem, block just that ad, and maybe tell the site why you're blocking it. Many ads are geotargeted, just because YOU see it, doesn't mean everyone is. My blacklist contains exactly that ad (that comes from cdn.morningfalls.com) and a few ad systems that spawn new windows. That's it. The default behavior of adblock is to wholesale block every script in a very...
In my opinion, while there will certainly be some takers, as we've seen with the WebOS tablet and RIM Playbook, ultimately there is no commitment from the hardware vendor to continue the product. This is what investors see. This is why RIM and Nokia have been tanking in the mobile phone market. Changing the OS inside a device with no backwards compatibility is suicide.   When Apple switched from 68K to PPC, OS 8 to OS X,  PPC to Intel, and forked iOS from OSX onto...
And this is exactly why Apple's designs have been decried by hackers and other gadget loving people as being difficult to fix. Maybe I don't want 16GB maybe I want 32GB, an option not provided by Apple, but viable in the aftermarket... in some cases anyway.   The thing is, if the devices become cheaper and more reliable over time because of pushing the edge, then it's nothing to really complain about. But that isn't happening, and has never applied to computers. Computers...
I'm personally waiting for a new Mac Pro.   However I always consider the laptops, mac mini's etc, but I'm waiting for USB3+TB+PCIe3 before I consider the Pro. There's no PCIe3 in the mini, so it' drops down the list of what I want to buy, and that leaves the MacBook Pro.   I have never considered the MacBook Pro before because it didn't beat what my old 2004 Laptop had, a 1920x1200 screen in a 15" laptop. This was only available in the 17" and ... no, I won't...
You can still buy "new" server systems from Dell using any DDR3-era processor, so that includes Westmere-EP and Nehalem-EP. Businesses don't buy the latest greatest thing every year, they wait till there is a cost benefit to replacing. The same goes for Apple's Mac Pro when used in server configurations. For most cases the energy use envelope stays the same if they keep picking the same performance characteristics. 300$ vs 4000$ per processor, you decide if it's worth it....
Someone is trolling AI.   12-core (standard configuration) Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors   This is not an E5, the page is unchanged.   The E5's have part numbers like E5-1xxx or E5-2xxx
You're looking at it wrong.   The E5 replaces the 5000 series Xeons. Intel just so happens to make 1, 2, and 4 processor models of the E5, where as before they didn't. (Though the DP's could be used in UP configuration) The E3 is the rebadged i7/i5 with ECC support, that's it.   If you look at Apple's previous Mac Pro offerings, they offered UP and DP, using 5000 series processors, so logically they'll use E5-1xxx and E5-2xxx parts, in up to 8 core's. They could make a...