or Connect

Posts by Misa

I'm personally waiting for a new Mac Pro.   However I always consider the laptops, mac mini's etc, but I'm waiting for USB3+TB+PCIe3 before I consider the Pro. There's no PCIe3 in the mini, so it' drops down the list of what I want to buy, and that leaves the MacBook Pro.   I have never considered the MacBook Pro before because it didn't beat what my old 2004 Laptop had, a 1920x1200 screen in a 15" laptop. This was only available in the 17" and ... no, I won't...
You can still buy "new" server systems from Dell using any DDR3-era processor, so that includes Westmere-EP and Nehalem-EP. Businesses don't buy the latest greatest thing every year, they wait till there is a cost benefit to replacing. The same goes for Apple's Mac Pro when used in server configurations. For most cases the energy use envelope stays the same if they keep picking the same performance characteristics. 300$ vs 4000$ per processor, you decide if it's worth it....
Someone is trolling AI.   12-core (standard configuration) Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors   This is not an E5, the page is unchanged.   The E5's have part numbers like E5-1xxx or E5-2xxx
You're looking at it wrong.   The E5 replaces the 5000 series Xeons. Intel just so happens to make 1, 2, and 4 processor models of the E5, where as before they didn't. (Though the DP's could be used in UP configuration) The E3 is the rebadged i7/i5 with ECC support, that's it.   If you look at Apple's previous Mac Pro offerings, they offered UP and DP, using 5000 series processors, so logically they'll use E5-1xxx and E5-2xxx parts, in up to 8 core's. They could make a...
Other than the poor cellular service (everyone on the Amtrak with an iPad is using the same cell signal sent to the train) , I was able to get away with using the iPad for the duration of an entire trip where I would have needed a laptop. So I think there's no further need for a laptop, at least as far as travel is concerned (I have to wonder what people used to do before computers... did they pack a suitcase full of paper on business trips?)   The iPad replaces pretty...
Netflix is also paying Amazon, which charges 5 times the amount for bandwidth than it would cost them if they just had their equipment at cheap edge nodes. If they borrowed a page from Youtube/Google's playbook all they have to do is put their own equipment inside ISP's data centers, and the bandwidth cost to deliver to end users is magically zero.   I don't know Netflix/Amazon's actual numbers, but the cheapest bandwidth you can get requires building your own...
Apple's last Mac Pro update was back with the DP Intel E5620, released Q1 2010, Nehalem architecture using the X58 Chipset   There has since been one new socket introduced (Socket 2011 for DP/MP) and the existing Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge socket is being retired with the next UP chip (1155 replaced by 1150) The Single Processor (UP) systems Intel has stated only will support 4 cores (8 with Hyperthreading), so it makes more sense to just go straight to the Socket...
There's two aspects that people forget when Video and Voice are used 1. Carriers offer these services already, at an expensive premium that they'd like to keep 2. Carriers have to implement proper QoS (aka bandwidth prioritizing, aka throttling) for Voice and Video links to function in a usable manner.   So if a carrier wants to force everyone to use their version of Video calling, they just break QoS to only support their own version. Likewise with Voice. This is why...
That is fundamentally misunderstanding the problem.   1. Mac Pro's have PCIe kit that can't be put into a iMac. TB is only 4 lanes. Devices like http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkhdextreme use 4 lanes by themselves. 2. Video cards are always 16 lane devices, these can't be put on TB. Any external Video card is going to have a 75% performance penalty if it's on TB and have to compete with the other TB devices for bandwidth. 3. SSD devices require 4...
The Samsung Note is somewhat silly, but it's in the right direction (it's laggy, even in the ads.) The problem with a stylus is that in the earlier PDA era, they were used to drive the entire interface, if you lost the stylus, you were forced to use your finger, which was too wide to peck at the 3mm sized UI controls. In that aspect, yes any device that is driven by a stylus is a failure. Look no further than the Nintendo DS/DSi/3DS to see where a stylus works and does...