or Connect

Posts by Misa

Anyone remember "Unlimited Internet" when the @home network existed?Yeah... times a changing.See over time, the marketing for something good eventually backfires when it becomes too good due to grandfathering.Today we have either "umetered" or "capped" internet plans along with specific tiers of bandwidth which is easily imposed by technical constraints of the customer premises equipment. With wireless this is impractical, so instead the throttle at the connection level....
RIM (Blackberry) also isn't a state-sponsored company.China, because of some questionable quality control practices and corruption, often end up with counterfeit parts and malware on genuine products because they use readily pirated software in the process of putting the devices together. So Huawei and ZTE can claim innocence, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening under their noses.So the reason the Government doesn't want any Chinese parts in the internet/mobile...
Actually, if you've ever been to a buffet:1) Do not take more than you are going to eat, you will be charged for any uneaten food2) Get a new plate every time (do not bring plates back to the buffet table)If you go to all-you-can-eat where you are served , like a sushi place, it's usually a time-limited window of maybe 2 hours, and the portions are pretty tiny. Again you are also charged for any uneaten food.No doggybag/leftovers are allowed to be removed from the premises...
Apple pretty much doesn't go out of their way to make asinine changes to the product line. Ask anyone who has developed for Android what % of devices their software actually works on. Games made with Unity tend only to work on Android devices with PowerVR GPU cores, which are the same cores used on the iPhone. What does the Samsung device have?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)#Snapdragon_801 Adreno ,...
Ever since the iPhone came out, the iPhone has held the lead in usage, and no matter how inflated the "shipments" figure Samsung keeps shilling out to investment news sites, it hasn't shaken that.My own data for sites I operate, when you put the "all web traffic" back into the figure still shows that all android use combined is less than 1%, while Apple's iOS devices have more than three to fives times as much usage.But context is relative. The content my sites have...
Yuck, I wouldn't touch LG or Samsung owing to experiences having to support their devices, and the extremely high return/warranty repair rate. I'm not sure if things have changed since, but a quick search on Google suggests LG/Samsung have their fingers in way too many pies to actually engineer solid products. I'll also point out again the correlation is that these devices were given away for free or almost free, hence many people were getting them thinking they were...
The Mini is popular where you need a Mac but it's not your primary machine. It's perfect for iOS development/cross-development (eg with monogame/xamarin) and is reasonably powerful enough and portable enough to be used as a HTPC or taken to convention settings when there is power available. That said, the lack of OS X on more capable desktop/laptop hardware is often a deciding factor in what Mac or PC someone buys. I'm not terribly fond of the Apple Laptop designs, as I...
Apple will have to support NFC "for payments" at some point because MasterCard/Visa/Amex already does so, and likewise most transit systems are switching to NFC as wellAnd then you have this:http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/09/24/android-nfc-hack-lets-subway-riders-evade-fares/I don't see Apple enabling "NFC pairing" or "NFC devices" as alternatives to bluetooth, though there may be some pressure to do so if it has NFC capability. For all we know, NFC might just be a...
They don't have to hold the device hostage when they are using incompatible technology or frequency bands. This is why you can't switch between Verizon and any "normal" GSM carrier, because Version doesn't operate on GSM at all. You can only use a LTE device that supports both carriers bands, and even then, nobody is using VoLTE yet, it's mostly just LTE for data.Like in the US, the value of removing carrier lock (aka SIM lock) is dubious at best. It should be done...
A special dividend is a bad idea, because that just gives away the companies money for no benefit for future and past share holders. That's the kind of thing you do when the company is about to implode. Same with buying back stock. Buying it back for any reason other than to take advantage of foolish bears trying to push down the stock is just foolish. Over time the stock dilutes because of stock options that vest, and when those are sold, they end up back in the common...