or Connect

Posts by Misa

No way. I'll take security over wireless convenience. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how computers work. USB3 has 5gbits of bandwidth. PCIe Hard drives are being used on the Macbook, MacPro and iMac push around 8Gbits. 802.11ad is 6.75Gb, and that is an awful lot of extra radio circuity for something that is going to be less than 2 meters away.Point of reference, AP's bleed out and can be eavesdropped from more than 1km away. Even though their rated outdoor...
Let's see:1. Android SmartTV's and Blueray players are generally not hooked up to anything, so no internet, and even those that are, ever try using the internet with a remote, gamepad or wiimote? It's an irritating experience to say the least.2. ISP's put their junk Android phones on the "feature phone" service tier, thus it costs 5 cents a kilobyte to use the data, so it's disabled.3. Android phones are frequently the only option for 7-11 Speakout and similar...
Wireless charging is as much as a dead technology as Wireless networking is. It has it's uses, but it's mainly to remove cable clutter from spaces that can't have it (eg most Condo and Apartment buildings, where you're not allowed to punch a hole in the wall. Likewise cell phones can't fit full size ethernet connectors.) It's otherwise inefficient, and wastes extremely large amounts of energy.Where I could see wireless charging becoming a standard is primarily for...
Wouldn't surprise me.I was visiting family the other day and everyone who had a smartphone had an iPhone. The one person who didn't, was the daughter in a household of Apple products who had a Samsung device, and she hates the battery life on it.
IMO, the problem with vertical integration is "what" not "why"A company like Apple, buying companies to support their primary businesses , eg chip designers, software developers, etc makes sense. A company like Comcast who owns both Media and data networks does not, because that puts one of those business arms in conflict with the other. There are customers (eg business) that need the data, and do not wish to subsidize the media arm. Comcast can't make a customer choose...
More or less.Apple needs one small model for those who want small gadgets , and one size for people who are larger and want a larger device. Really Apple should have something likeiPhone(3.5,4.7) - iPod(3.5/4.7), iPad (7", 10")With the iPod model simply being last years iPhone model minus the mobile phone radio/ability to make phone calls, like the iPad. At least Apple is less confusing than Samsung whom I haven't a bloody clue what they are selling or what the difference...
IMEI blocks are carrier-based, and would require reporting the device lost/stolen to the carrier AND that they put the IMEI in a international database of lost/stolen devices, otherwise it's completely useless.Apple's solution is one of the benefits of a walled-garden approach, No Apple account, no iPhone/iPad/iPod/iMac usage. Keep in mind that two things are still true:a) Someone could take the device apart, and sell it for parts on eBay, which there is a market for...
I've maxed out the RAM in every computer I've ever owned, given availability. That includes two macmini's and a laptop. You're right people generally don't upgrade their devices, but that's usually because by the time the device is showing it's age, the availability of upgrade parts have disappeared or now are more expensive than buying new. We have a really wide window right now for upgrading because the performance increase from the Sandy Bridge parts through to the...
I'd like to know what Amazon was thinking with this... Killing Samsung? LG? I like some of the hardware specs on Android devices, but the Android environment is a deal killer for me. Everything I've seen powered by Android other than a smartphone has been slow and crash prone. As for smart phone Androids, they fill the low-end niche, replacing dumb phones and feature phones. That is how everyone selling Android phones has been treating the Android ecosystem... throwaway...
That's like asking why people don't drive SmartCars instead of Ford F350's. Different capacity and different purpose.ARM's purpose is low-power, which is why it's perfect for mobile and lousy for everything else but microservers. (Because you can fill a data center cage with 12 4U rack servers filled with 2160 of them (4 x 45) in the same power envelope as 8 Xeon CPU's per 45 ARM parts.)Until there is a dramatic shift in how programmers design programs to multithread...