or Connect

Posts by Misa

You can use it pretty much everywhere that has PayPass. So basically most places outside the US, and only places inside the US that have replaced their credit card POS systems in the last 3 years.
Depending on the device architecture, but generally there is always a performance increase when software is run as 64-bit instead of 32-bit. I imagine Google's chrome dev's had it's arm twisted pretty hard, sticking to that "no web app would ever use 64bit" when that's factually wrong. Facebook and Twitter actually do make use of 64-bit, as webapps, because their "infinite" scrolling mechanic doesn't garbage-collect as you scroll. You might wonder what the point of running...
I think the implication is that there are not enough LTE parts vendors. Qualcomm basically owns enough patents in LTE to make it impossible to build LTE chips without licensing their patents, or straight out buying chips from them.Apple could, and probably should get all the licencing cheaper than buying the chips, and integrate it into the A9 or whatever they end up calling it, as that would reduce power requirements by not having power-sucking parts built on older...
That's because up until the iPhone, all the devices that were out were restive touch screens only capable of accuracy of around 8-pixels, and weren't multi-touch, pressure sensitive or able to tell angles. The styluses were just plastic sticks like what's on the 3DS and Wii U. You can use your fingers on resistive screens, but it extremely fat-fingers the input, most people end up poking it with their fingernails, causing small dents in the screen on some cheapo devices....
Hence the reason why "shipped" as a metric is meaningless.The phones could be shipped to a landfill, or immediately recycled into Occulus Rift's, and Samsung would still consider it shipped.
It needs to be said again. iOS is OS X.Here's a speculative way for Apple to Phase Intel out if they were planning on it. When they start planning it, they will put both an Intel chip and an ARM chip in the same Mac, and initially, the ARM part will only run ARM software, and all binaries for the OS X version that supports this will support running either the Intel or the ARM binary. Then when users flip on power-management features, the Mac would prefer the ARM binary and...
I'm not terribly fond of seeing Apple interested in switching to ARM parts unless it's a new product. Like if Apple were to release an AppleTV that's an actual 50" TV or something, and used ARM parts, I'd be fine with seeing that, as it may have mutual compatibilty with the existing AppleTV product, but if there was any reason to try and get a high powered ARM part, this would be where Apple should try it first. That or bringing back some kind of headless OS X...
http://www.quora.com/Why-havent-CPU-clock-speeds-increased-in-the-last-5-yearsAlsohttp://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-past-present-and-future-of-the-cpu-according-t/1100-6421514/The point is that single-core performance has essentially been at a plateau for several yearshttp://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.htmlIntel Pentium 4 3.73GHz released in Q4'04 (90nm 115 W) is the same performance as a Intel Core i3-4020Y @ 1.50GHz released Q3'13 (22 nm 11.5 W), the market is...
Indeed.I actually feel more confident about 23andme storing DNA for research purposes, than I would ever feel about storing individual biometrics in the cloud as an authentication mechanism. What happens if you lose the limb that biometric is associated with?Like, I'm going to sound really old, but even if insurance companies could discriminate against you by having your DNA information, it's far more valuable to know what you have, or might be predisposed to, so you can...
You're greatly missing the point.NOBODY moves to a die shrink until Intel does. Apple does not own any fabs. Intel does. Not even AMD or nVidia can produce better GPU's until TSMC or Global Foundries move to a fabrication process after Intel does. There's no more tick-tock's left in the Intel cycle. No more die shrinks can be done without either becoming uneconomical.As for licencing the x86-64 ISA. I'm sure that would be a mess, and Apple would have nothing to gain by...