or Connect

Posts by Misa

Hence the reason why "shipped" as a metric is meaningless.The phones could be shipped to a landfill, or immediately recycled into Occulus Rift's, and Samsung would still consider it shipped.
It needs to be said again. iOS is OS X.Here's a speculative way for Apple to Phase Intel out if they were planning on it. When they start planning it, they will put both an Intel chip and an ARM chip in the same Mac, and initially, the ARM part will only run ARM software, and all binaries for the OS X version that supports this will support running either the Intel or the ARM binary. Then when users flip on power-management features, the Mac would prefer the ARM binary and...
I'm not terribly fond of seeing Apple interested in switching to ARM parts unless it's a new product. Like if Apple were to release an AppleTV that's an actual 50" TV or something, and used ARM parts, I'd be fine with seeing that, as it may have mutual compatibilty with the existing AppleTV product, but if there was any reason to try and get a high powered ARM part, this would be where Apple should try it first. That or bringing back some kind of headless OS X...
http://www.quora.com/Why-havent-CPU-clock-speeds-increased-in-the-last-5-yearsAlsohttp://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-past-present-and-future-of-the-cpu-according-t/1100-6421514/The point is that single-core performance has essentially been at a plateau for several yearshttp://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.htmlIntel Pentium 4 3.73GHz released in Q4'04 (90nm 115 W) is the same performance as a Intel Core i3-4020Y @ 1.50GHz released Q3'13 (22 nm 11.5 W), the market is...
Indeed.I actually feel more confident about 23andme storing DNA for research purposes, than I would ever feel about storing individual biometrics in the cloud as an authentication mechanism. What happens if you lose the limb that biometric is associated with?Like, I'm going to sound really old, but even if insurance companies could discriminate against you by having your DNA information, it's far more valuable to know what you have, or might be predisposed to, so you can...
You're greatly missing the point.NOBODY moves to a die shrink until Intel does. Apple does not own any fabs. Intel does. Not even AMD or nVidia can produce better GPU's until TSMC or Global Foundries move to a fabrication process after Intel does. There's no more tick-tock's left in the Intel cycle. No more die shrinks can be done without either becoming uneconomical.As for licencing the x86-64 ISA. I'm sure that would be a mess, and Apple would have nothing to gain by...
Not happening. Every time I see a story like this, all you need to do is look at the use-case, and it falls flat on it's face. 1) Existing A-series and ARM based parts are still Pentium 3-era speeds on comparable workloads 2) Intel's Atom parts are barely faster than Pentium 3-era parts 3) Intel's onboard video has always been a joke, but mobile isn't much better. I could see Apple eventually producing a CPU/GPU that is more capable than Intel's weak mobile offerings,...
Wasn't the reason for the soldered ram because it was stacked LPDDR3 or something?I'm not too heartbroken over this (my 2012 mini has 16GB that I put in myself), but Apple needs to actually max out the RAM since it can't be upgraded.
Well...1) Intel's onboard video is awful, and even if it can display 4K, it doesn't do it well. A top-of-the-line Radeon R295 doesn't even do 4K well. The difference between the Top of the line and a card half the price, is being able to push the same frame rate at 4K and at HDTV resolution. Intel's onboard video can't even push a SD resolution at the same frame rate. This is why there are options. A less pixel-dense screen allows for higher frame rates on the same GPU...
I don't see the 3.5mm port ever going away on any devices (Nintendo tried it before on their GBA-SP), anything portable must have it, so any headphones can be used with it. Bluetooth is too much of a hassle to charge and pair, when you can just plug in any headphones and not have to pair it every time you want to use it with a new device. Then there are also battery life concerns by leaving radios on.I don't know about everyone else, but Bluetooth earbuds/headphones seem...