or Connect

Posts by Misa

If I were to place a bet, I'd say the iPad Mini ends up being a an "ipad 2" sized resolution screen with the specs of the new iPod Touch and only 100$ more than the iPod Touch.That said, I'm not sold on it either. They might be principally targeted at "Comic/Manga/Book" formats which is roughly the size it's good for. But then again considering the iPhone 5's screen size bump, they could also just bump up the iPad 2 resolution and change the shape to be taller. I'm...
Actually NFC is very useful, it's the US that's ass-backwards about it. The US, because of it's investment in mag-stripe equipment, won't adopt chip+pin or NFC (PayPass) because the old equipment works just fine. It'll be 15 years before all that equipment is turned over.Meanwhile you can use PayPass pretty much everywhere in Canada. The "killer-app" for NFC on an iPhone or iPad is receiving payments, not making them. This currently can be done by various dongle-type...
It's not the chip, it's the power amplifiers. You can only put so many into one device without sacrificing battery life and PCB space. Wait for the iFixit teardown before deciding which model is suitable for globetrotting.My opinion is that we will never see SDR in a mobile phone. SDR comes at great expense in battery life, and is more useful in devices that can spare the performance (do you remember "winmodem" devices, same idea, anyone who had one can tell you how their...
That's not true, and anyone who thinks Americans won't apply for jobs hasn't tried applying for any job in the last 5 years.During boom times, jobs are plentiful and companies can't find fill positions, so they train them. During bust times, companies only hire who they can poach from other companies. They won't hire unemployed people and won't train anyone. The average unemployed person can't even get a job at a grocery store because there are too many people applying for...
This is such old news.Basically interference runs from two categories:Small planes and cell phones side signalling, the 'tick-ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka' noise you hear from the headphones plugged into an amplified sound source. This is mostly a small plane issue since they usually don't travel at an altitude that would prevent their cell phones from picking up a signal, and aren't fast enough to lose a signal lock. Hence in a small airplane, it's better to turn off the...
To be fair, some patents are SEP, as in you can't make a working LTE chip without them, and some patents are pure software, which are still SEP, but are easy to "turn off" and degrade performance to 3G. If either company succeeded in suing each other for SEP LTE patents that were entirely software, they could just turn off the LTE and keep on selling the device. It's the patents that make up the hardware part that actually could result in a ban on the device.Take the...
External drive, problem solved. DVD rental places still exist? I still sometimes buy DVD's in discount bins, but I haven't really cared too much building a collection since blueray came out, and Apple has never sold a blueray drive either.See this is one of the areas that makes me think that there is a "too thin" point for desktops. The larger and lighter the screen, the more ease it has of falling face-forward, or backwards from things like your kids or pets running into...
I find it facinating and silly that people sue for stuff like this. "Wear and Tear" has never been covered by any product warranty. It's like asking for a car to never get a windshield crack, paint chip, or oil change, and yet be driveable for 100 years. No, just no. The reality is that cars are only engineered to last about 10 years, and most electronics are only engineered to last 90 days to a year. If you get more life out of them, great. That reminds me of an...
I doubt it. My opinion is that until the tablets come stock with >4GB of ram, from a design perspective there is absolutely no point to use 64bit CPU's in them. There's probably one or two versions still in the pipe before 64bit cpu's are needed.The 64bit ARM cores will be seen in servers first, because servers with only 4GB of ram are completely useless, and Intel's lack of putting ECC in desktop/laptop CPU's requires some competition in the form of reliable low-power...
Samsung's stock price is down like 6.4% already: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/companies/samsung-shares-plunge-after-patent-verdict/story-fndfr3g3-1226458770979 Or look at it's page directly: http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/ir/irfaqs/stockdividend/IR_StockDividend.html