or Connect

Posts by toxotes

What were the bugs? I haven't used Celestia in a while but am thinking of firing it up again.
The stripping of colour from the sidebar is to my mind a good example of style trumping usability. Yes it looks cleaner and less busy without those differently-coloured icons, but the colour of the icons was a visual cue that made it faster and easier find the icon you're looking for. It's not a big deal but it is a minor setback in usability, at least for me.
I like your ideas for an Apple "dropbox" and agree that Apple wouldn't just copy Dropbox, they'd want to make it distinctive in some way. But I also think they can't ignore what makes Dropbox so good (and popular): 1) it's remarkably simple to set up and use; 2) it's extremely reliable; 3) it's cross-platform; 4) you can get full functionality with up to 2 GB of files for free. Well, at least those are the reasons why I like it so much. Of those 4 attractive features,...
Pages has everything you've cited. The dictionary that Pages uses is just the one that comes with OS X ("Dictionary" app). I personally prefer Pages to Word (including the new 2011, which I've used), because it just feels more elegant and streamlined. I've used every version of iWork since it came out and I think the first version of Pages might have been geared more towards page layout than word processing, but that's not the case with '09. I know Word is more feature...
Four of my last 6 mac purchases have had problems either out of the box or within the first month or two of use. This is going back about five or six years, mind you. I had one that wouldn't start out of the box, one that had system board failures within the first couple of months, and of the two that I have now--a MBP 15" and a MacPro 2008, the MBP has kernel panics within minutes of starting if I install the maximum 4 GB of RAM in it (but never if I put in 3 or less),...
I did download version 9 and it installed Office 2007 with no problems but Excel was very slow to open a spreadsheet and when it did it was difficult to read because the fonts were very fuzzy... must be some Windows/Crossover effect, but whatever the cause it looked horrible. Also Outlook crashed while trying to connect to my Exchange server at work, which never happens when I run it in VMWare, Parallels, or natively in Windows. At that point the disadvantages were...
I haven't tried it for at least a year and when I did I found it complicated and kind of klunky, but apparently a new version is out so I might give it another try. At the very least, the CEO's quote on their website makes them worthy of a second look: "...in other words, our diabolical plot for world domination is going exactly as planned."
I like your approach! I've always assumed that I *had* to keep my computers in sync; this approach is refreshing and something I never even thought of. I think I'm going to give this some serious thinking, because seriously, it does get tiring constantly trying to think of the perfect syncing solution, and it's true that I'm never completely confident that a file is "the right version" when I'm syncing between computers. How do you find Teamviewer? I use Back to my Mac...
Aliases is something I never thought of; thanks. However, I find Dropbox too expensive. If I wanted to sync everything, I'd be in their highest price category. I tried using iDisk for a while and even upgraded my online storage space, thinking I could keep my important files there, which would double as an automatic sync as well as online backup... the only problem is that, as far as I know, files on iDisk don't get backed up with Time Machine, so all that versioning...
I too think that what MobileMe does, it does quite well--at least in terms of syncing. If it could sync all my user files as well as at syncs my contacts and calendars (well, better actually, because sometimes it doesn't work perfectly, although that's uncommon), I'd be a lot happier about paying that annual fee! But yes, even as it is I'll probably stick with it, just to keep my iPhone perfectly and effortlessly synced with my computers. What I meant about Dropbox...