or Connect

Posts by toxotes

Yes, I think I'll do that. Any little bit helps.
I'm going to wait but will probably get it before Aug 30 when the "special promotion" runs out (what a farce!) I'm using Virgin Mobile right now on a little Samsung flip phone. The plan I have is SO cheap. I get 200 anytime minutes and my phone bill including all taxes is always in the low-to-mid $20s, and guess what... no contract, no "system access fee", and no additional charge for call display and voice mail. This is the kind of plan that the "big guys" should...
I agree that the 40-something thousand signatures on the petition would probably not have much effect on Rogers, but it is having a huge effect on mainstream public perception of the iPhone in Canada, and I think this perception will in turn harm sales. This petition has been covered in several major national media stories I've seen today alone. The overall message of these stories is that people "in the know" are saying that the iPhone plans are a ripoff. For the...
I just signed the petition at http://www.ruinediphone.com but the most powerful message to Rogers will be to refrain from buying the iPhone until the plans are reasonable, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.
Yes, including the entire area of the country is misleading because in fact most of the country probably has no cell phone coverage at all because it's barely populated, therefore no infrastructure cost to the provider in those areas--unlike the U.S., where a much greater percentage of the land area is populated and expected to have coverage. I think the person who suggested comparing cell phone towers to population served had a good method, but I still suspect Canada is...
It's listed on Apple's website somewhere. Pretty sure airport routers are automatically okay, but other ones may need to have specific ports opened.
Update: I'm at my mom's house in Winnipeg and BTMM now works from my 10.5.3 laptop to my 10.5.3 iMac at home. Yippee! She has a Netgear router and I had already configured it months ago to open the ports that BTMM uses. I have a Time Capsule at home and didn't do any custom config there. So 10.5.3 made the difference for me.
I think there are lots of threads on parallels vs fusion and a google search on just that will bring up lots of conversations about the pros and cons of each. As for Unity, it's not really true that it lets you run a Windows program without firing up the virtual machine. Unity just shows your Windows program in a window as if it were another OS X program, but the virtual machine still has to be running in the background before the Windows program will launch. This is no...
Yeah... yippee, it works when all the computers are in your house. I've also had no luck over the internet from anywhere to anywhere (i've tried various combinations between home, work, my mom's house, and school). I keep reading things about incompatible routers and ports that need to be opened, etc., etc., etc. I've even tried opening ports on my mom's router per instructions in their help page but that didn't work either. I'm hoping that 10.5.3 will help since the...
You may find some info here: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/, but except for the confirmation that Rogers will be carrying the iPhone in Canada "late this year" (I think that was the quote), there hasn't been an announcement yet as to exactly when. Lots of speculation though, and that website is devoted to the topic so you should find it interesting (plus it has an RSS feed so you can keep on top of the latest rumors... what fun!)