or Connect

Posts by toxotes

I've been using .mac for about 5 years. If you have more than one mac it's worth the annual fee for me just to keep my bookmarks, address books, and calendars in sync among your various computers. That part of it I find works very well. The e-mail part of it is good in that it's IMAP, so if you have multiple computers anything you do in your e-mail on one comp is automatically reflected on the others. But I find .mac e-mail slow and the server goes down more often than...
I've gotten a lot of good ideas and help here too! If you can ignore the short-tempered posters (none of them in this thread thankfully!) it's a great place to troubleshoot problems. Anyway, glad things are back on track for you.
I've gotten a lot of good ideas and help here too! If you can ignore the short-tempered posters (none of them in this thread thankfully!) it's a great place to troubleshoot problems. Anyway, glad things are back on track for you.
These approaches would be pretty effective but I'm too lazy to adopt any routine that involves taking things offsite, which is why I would prefer an online offsite backup. Until I find one that meets my nitpicky criteria I'll remain vulnerable however. Having said that, I'm finding FolderShare a pretty convenient way to get important files offsite. It can sync directory structures between different computers over the internet, so if any of your sync comps are offsite,...
I'm glad your panic attack has abated. I'm finding that the older I get the more of a big deal it would be if I were to lose everything. I keep a lot of important stuff on my computer now and I'm old enough that I've been doing it long enough that the total loss would be pretty devastating. I keep my important files sync'd between three computers plus I have the external drive backup, so unless the whole house burns down I should be okay... still, I'd be much more...
I don't mind your questions because I've done the same thing so it's not like I have to rack my brains or anything. I think you're right to recognize this as a problem where you want the solution to be one that will "screw up the least" because I don't know if there's a perfect solution. I too faced this problem of trying to find only the files that mattered when OS X presented me with hundreds of recently-updated system files. Which to copy? I ended up copying over...
I guess what you could try is booting off your external drive again (by reversing the steps above), then use Super Duper to clone your external drive over to your internal one. I think that will work in theory but personally I'd be reluctant... if it were me I'd try to find the files I had changed on the external and copy them over manually instead. I think I cloned an external to my internal once using SD and I had some permissions issues or something. Can't really...
I have the current versions of both and they're both really good. Some people seem to have strong preferences for one or the other though. If I were you I'd download the demo of each and install my OEM Windows on both and compare them. You don't need to activate Windows for at least a week or two after you install it (perhaps more... I forget), which should give you enough time to see if you like one better than the other. Then you can just blow away the other one and...
You should be able to go to System Preferences, then select Startup Disk, then select your internal hard drive, which will cause your mac to reboot from the internal drive. Once you do that, the external drive should no longer be disabled in Super Duper (it won't let you back up to it now because it's currently set to be your boot disk). Hope this helps.
dunno. Let us know what you end up getting; would be interesting to know if they've changed them.