or Connect

Posts by Capt. Obvious

No, and thank you for that careful, critical attempt at a summary...   If you listen just a little more closely, you might be able to tell that he's complaining about being deprived of services thru no technical requirement of hardware or software.   The bundle, in effect, has been shuffled: still the same services offered, but with a gatekeeper interposed.  Kinda like the way that Microsoft first created FUD (nothing's wrong, but if you find NotOurDOS installed, stop...
People don't appreciate the appeal of the iPad until they've shown it to a non-tech-savvy elder. I spent 20 minutes showing off the 1st-gen to an 80-year-old great-grandfather whose grand-kids were desperate to get him finally online. Anyway, he was completely entranced: he IMMEDIATELY got the comparison of the touch interface to finger-painting, was quickly playing around with confidence, and left hugging his new prize, his family beaming around him. He is now...
\ Too bad...I have a bunch of camera apps. Still, I have a folder full of 'em as one of my 'constant 4', so not as bad as all that
I *do* have a question about the quick-access camera: is this assignable, or exclusively the province of Apple's Camera app? It won't keep me from the upgrade, but I'm just wondering as I wait for it to download....
The stores simply don't have the space or the manpower to create BTO assemblies, much less stock the range of extra parts needed to do so. If they are planning on adding this capability to their retail stores, it will cost them A BUNCH in physical plant modification, back-of-house systems, and payroll. AT EACH STORE. Since BTO configs would not be available 'while-u-wait', free overnight shipping becomes negligible for APPLE and eliminates the 'convenience' of local BTO...
@poke: re: the 'Big NC' - I suspect along similar lines...my personal take is that Apple is setting up a distributive cloud-universe, in which users can *directly* share or not share as much and as little as they like. In support, I offer MobileMe itself, which I've come to think of as a "cloud starter kit"...'cause it is that; also, I submit efforts such as Ping, Photo Gallery, and Facetime, which are clearly cloud-leveraged and user-centric; and of course, iPhone...
Spoken like one who hasn't tried it.
Yep - check your account settings!
Well-said! 'Course, iDisk is likely as close to an enterprise-strength solution as Apple will get, but they don't *want* to drive developers out of the field by capturing high-end solutions the way other companies have. Still, it's important to remember that MobileMe is at its best when dealing with multiple users w/ multiple devices. The control I have over calendars (syncing / propagation / subscription) is worth the annual cost all by itself. Add to that the...
I think it makes no sense to "make MobileMe FREE!!!" It is one of several sets of services Apple makes available for their user community, and the simple fact is that people don't value free stuff. They may want it, but they don't actually dig into it for the purpose of getting the most out of it. By charging a totally-minimal fee, they want to get people to value the services and *want* to use them. Same logic applies to AppleCare and One-To-One: high-end services...