or Connect

Posts by Capt. Obvious

266mHz PBG3, 10.1.2, 384mb RAM 158mflops in 90.2 sec. after I quit all apps; 146mflops in 97.7 sec. after turned off Altivec code; 145mflops in 98.0 sec. before twiddling anything
[quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest: You could start out by buying Keyboard magazine, and/or Electronic Musician magazine. You'll pick up a lot of useful info that way, especially since it sounds like you don't have a few specific questions, but are actually starting almost from scratch. The main thing is that you should not let obsession with gear take precedence over a willingless to play and experiment with the gear you have.
I'm...
[quote]Originally posted by discstickers: Originally posted by RazzFazz: Pretty unlikely. After all, Motorola is a business, and as such, their primary concern is more likely to be making money rather than sacrificing profits just in order to exact some sort of personal revenge for long-bygone deeds. You'd hope.
That's one reason why corps have boards of directors: to prevent childish personal motives from ruining the enterprise.
I'd like to echo confirmed's thanks to everybody participating in this thread, as well as his request for more music/audio info. Especially forums like this. I've been into music all my life, and w/ my planned upgrade (~MWNY - gHz+ iMac / PMG5 ), I'm look to get involved w/ making music on my Mac, too. Unfortunately, other than a MiniMoog, I've used no electronic music equipment, and I don't know anyone who's interested in music-making, so I have no personal...
[quote]Originally posted by Eugene: btw...IT SHIPPED.
Uhh, Eugene? You are gonna, like, sound off once it arrives, & give us all the gory details, right???
[quote]Originally posted by Big Mac: Many individuals are hoping for a G5 surprise at MWT or MWNY. I just don't see it happening. I still believe we will receive an Apollo Power Mac bump at MWNY, hopefully bringing us to 1.3GHz. I don’t have confidence in a G5 introduction pre-MWSF; hopefully the extra time Apple has will allow for greater MHz attainment. I don't know about anyone else, but a G5 that tops out at 1.6GHz is not a panacea, since by MWNY Intel maybe...
[quote]Originally posted by g::masta: then fact that the Ghz barrier was broken without even a minor disturbance tells me that Apl are gonna pull a very big, hungry, nasty rabbit outta the hat soon.
<dundee> *chuckle* That's not a new PowerMac - THIS is a new PowerMac! </dundee> [quote]don't want to speculate when tho. my vote is June/July 02
Word. When is the biggest if of all. The more I...
[quote]Originally posted by G-News: Very nice
::blush:: Thanks, I welcome your comments! (thanks to TJM & Tarbash, too!) [quote]However let me correct you on the G4 being more of a G3+Altivec a bit. First of all, the G3 and a G4 without altivec would still differ, for example in the FPU, being double precision in the G4, while only single prec in G3. Also, the G3 wasn't a new "architecture" either, it's based on the...
[quote]Originally posted by foamy: G5 at MWSF. Yes MWSF, not MWNY. SdC will win his bet . Why? [the quote didn't make it, but said G4 is 'not topped out'.] They will migrate to a smaller fab for this chip and get more speed. I put my $$$ on faster Apollos throughout this year and the G5's coming out party at MWSF.
That's all well & good, but implies nothing about G5. Room to grow in G4 means they can carry iMac & iBook (at least,...
As far as when G5 will hit the streets, only those inside the (infinite) loop can say; There are so many factors that govern a major product release that prediction is practically impossible (we've proved that here, haven't we? That said, it would surprise me if we saw the new PMs as early as March; I'd say that would be crowding the iMac unnecessarily. I think this summer is much more likely: more room for the iMac, and sales of these puppies could go through the...