or Connect

Posts by Capt. Obvious

You're one of those guys who sue hard-disk manufacturers for cheating you out of your imaginary due, aren't you?
Nonsense: that's not how this works. He answered the way he did deliberately. This is how he builds the buzz...just as he did with the iPhone. It may be a year, maybe three, but it's all over but the speculating (and releasing, and bitching...). Gentlebeings, start your engines!!!
These guys have a beef w/ Viacom/BET - but as far as the Apple "involvement", they might as well sue Sony for making TVs the public watched it on....
Interesting that there's *no* word at all about their home-site streaming "solution" in context of this news. In fact, there hasn't been a squeak abot their Amazon sales, either. And now, SanDisk. Either they are desperate, or they are fools. The fact that discounts are being offered is not a good sign for NBC: it means they know they can't compete against iTunes on the strength of their product or their service, so they must offer enticements to hold their own. ...
I think the multiple meanings of "backup" are mixing us up: backing up files to a storage disk, from which they can be retrieved, is one sort of backup; maintaining a current bootable partition on a different drive from your main boot disk is another kind. neither replaces the other; they are complementary, and each is important. As to whether one can restore a bootable partition from Time Machine, I suspect it does not, for the reason that it would involve "crossing...
Given that 500GB drives can be had now for under $100, get a 500GB & never think about it again (for a few years anyway - storage gets consumed, it's the nature of the thing)
DirOpus was not "dock-based" in any sense; it wasn't even dock-like ToolManager was a wonderful little thing, too & I loved & used them both for years - but they were both launchers (DirOpus less so, as it was primarily a file manager that could also launch). The dock is among other things a launcher, but not primarily, I think. Seems like more of a task manager to me - that can also launch - and, with Leopard, it can do other, newer things.
Apparently, one of the three things was a buttload of money, and another is/was windows-native development tools; they probably wanted to code to the metal, too - disastrous policy w/ any modern OS, but was once very common w/ game houses. No telling to what extent MS humours that point of view.
My Preview 4.0 question is this: when you use it to rotate images, do they *stay* rotated??? As in, the next time you open them, they reflect the rotation? been driving me nuts for years (yes, I save them after I rotate them)...
I feel y'all & your capacity issues: until someone makes a 500gb ipod I'll have those issues (was in the record biz for years, have thousands of discs). In fact, I've been quite happy w/ my 4gb Mini, but now it's dying, and 16gb seems like a substantial bump to me...seeing as how I can't fit it all on one device.... As a result, I'm torn between getting one of *these* too-small devices & waiting for a larger too-small device next year. I'll probably split the...