or Connect

Posts by Jim W

I would have liked to have seen some information about Aperture and it's further development. This iOS based simplistic software is of no use to professionals, and Aperture is a much better photo manager and more intuitive to use than Adobe Lightroom. Plus no hated "it quits when you quit paying for it" subscription model of Adobe software. I have terabytes of photos in Aperture, and while this new iOs/Mac photo app will certainly be used by more consumers, there is no way...
It is a manufacturing defect, hence Apple's responsibility. The discrete graphics were silver soldered to their subassembly. They develop cracks and instability due to poor connections. This is apparently made worse by higher temperatures. These were designed to be high performance machines and aimed at a market of professionals who use these computers to do high speed rendering, etc. Just the conditions that will cause the failures. Apple needs to offer a complete...
Only put it on my phone for Apple Radio. Never will go on my iPad. Was ready to buy a 5S. Not now. Tackiest UI ever.
Marvin, I give up on you. I hope you are very happy with your iMac. Pros will not be. You obviously know something about specs, but almost nothing about what pros really want, a true workstation, a real Mac Pro. Otherwise, why is this such a contentious subject? I thought it might be worthwhile to post honest comments here, but you obviously don't care to hear about it. If Apple doesn't come out with a true workstation in the new Mac Pro, thousands of pros will be forced...
A $1000 HP computer is NOT a workstation. Not even close. In HP's it is the Z820, and equipped for video editing goes for around $10,000-$15000 w video I/O card. Now I know how much you know about workstations used for this purpose. Here is a direct quote from a forum used by professionals and those who aspire to be. This was from the middle of last year and refers to a Z820, the one that is most often replacing the Mac Pro in high end Avid and other pro video...
You only have to go to Creative Cow or any of the other Premiere Pro Forums, as an example, to see the trend that could be an avalanche away from the Mac at the pro end of things if a new Mac workstation does not appear after "something great" was promised by Cook. What v5v says is correct. Apple needs a real Mac Pro or Windows will take over the high end. God forbid...
What do you bet that Chris Rock was first impressed by a Mac on a film or video shoot? And why was it there? Ultimately, because almost everything is edited on Avids using Mac Pros. This is where Hollywood saw their first Macs. The editors liked them, then the directors liked them, then, when PowerBooks came out, they showed up on the set being used for script, continuity, wardrobe, production management, and eventually the stars thought they were cool, so they bought...
Marvin, all I can say is that you must not make your living doing professional video, animation or even high end photography. 35%, 50%,90% gains are very substantial when you are doing projects that bill in the thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars. Feature films in the millions. Plenty to pay for the difference between a Mac Pro with the best GPU's that allow such speed gains. It is even important to people who bill $150 an hour. What if a factory manager was...
Well, they are streamlining themselves right out of the professional marketplace. There is a huge movement to Adobe software in video editing. That is occurring now, not ten years from now. And I speak as the former exclusive Avid dealer for Hawaii. Final Cut X was a watershed and Adobe is taking advantage of it. Their products are cross platform and actually run better on PC's because of software optimaization and access to the best current hardware, particularly GPUs....