or Connect

Posts by Jim W

Marvin, my 2010 Mac Pro sits under my work area and takes up NO desk space. Furthermore, the space taken is vertical. Even if it were on the desk (few are) it would take up the space of an AJA ioXT HD interface and cables and perhaps a Thunderbolt hub minus the cables. The Mac Pro can even be placed in the next room, which it often is in professional settings.   As for the Radeon 7990's power requirements, the first PCI 3 GPU, we are talking about a new Mac Pro here. Is...
Couldn't have said it better. An iMac or Thunderbolt connected setup cannot be taken seriously at the pro level unless your needs are very specific or you don't mind clutter. I just love the comments of people who have never worked in a professional space. Have you ever even seen a pro level graphics card? They are bigger than a Mac Mini, draw large amounts of power,  and would cause an iMac to explode if it were possible to shoe horn one in, let alone cool it. That is...
Exactly, I have essentially the same setup as gwmac that I use intensively for video, animation, and photo work. iMac level systems just don't cut it for that level of production. I wouldn't be too anxious to dump Pci either. That is where the truly powerful GPUs are developed that are essential to animation, color correction, realtime playback and editing of HD and soon 4k resolution video. NAB, the world's biggest video show, was all about 4k production this year. Four...
I have been following this closely for quite some time, actually. My former business was six years as the exclusive Avid dealer for Hawaii with dozens of pro level clients. Now devoted to doing video and photo production. Cook only said that "something really great was coming" and suggested late 2013. Didn't even specify if it would be a similar form factor.  Apple doesn't owe ME anything personally. It owes ALL of the people whose businesses depend on Mac Pro level...
Totally agree. I would rather wait for Haswell than rush one out, but I need to know it is coming. The Mac Pro is not an iPhone with that type of competition or need for secrecy. No one else makes an OSX workstation. It would seem management has a lot to learn about the pro pipeline. Used to be much more predictable. That is necessary when year out and beyond budgeting decisions need to be made and you only have one supplier of your workstations. There are many companies...
Referring to the desire for larger screens by phone buyers. I personally wouldn't want a larger phone, but larger sizes seem to be selling well in the 'droid market and there has been speculation about a larger iPhone. I'm a photographer/videographer. Mainly care about the quality of the display, and hate to say it, but the Samsung's have a better reputation than the LG's, and I was mostly concerned about getting one of those, so I ordered a "refurb" iPad just before...
Not to be a Luddite, but I'm glad i just got an iPad 3/64GB Retina with the 30 pin. Head to head with the iPad 4 within seconds in speed, check YouTube tests. No cable/accessory changes necessary. All my stuff still works. Will keep my iPhone 4 until it dies as I have unlimited data grandfathered from Verizon, also 30 pin. Will buy a new iPhone then to keep my plan. See no advantage in Lightning except smaller and thinner, and more control. Who cares when consumers seem...
As a professional photographer who likes to use my iPhone when my DSLR is not with me, I would despise a device that picked the “best” photo for me. Unless I had access to the buffer to pick the best one for myself. What if in the sharpest shot of a group of people they all had their eyes closed? What software could distinguish that or any other content based difference? I can think of many such examples. Terrible idea. Stabilization, if possible, would be much...
Well, if indeed there is Thunderbolt in the next Mac Pro, and why not, I would hope that would be in addition to slots, and also multiple easily removable HD's and/or SSDs. So fast external peripherals should be possible there as well. Perhaps more power (watts), but who knows. Not to nitpick, but the Quadro K5000, the most powerful GPU for the Mac Pro draws 122 watts, not 200. Also 32GB of RAM is not enough for a lot of Photoshop work unless you want to be swapping data...
Also, if you get involved in threads on Adobe Premiere and After Effects, people are switching primarily to PC workstations, not iMacs. Adobe has been developing that software (esp Premiere) on Windows for years. They are now going after the people on Macs alienated by Final Cut X, which are many. But they have some work to do to get it up to parity with the PC version where it was for years when FCP 7 was dominant. Without a new Mac Pro, I only see that migration...