or Connect

Posts by Jim W

If I'm not mistaken, Thunderbolt is the equivalent of one 16x PCIe 2 lane. Really hasn't been an issue for me and my setup. This is going to be a bottleneck for high end GPU plus Kona video card, plus say a Red Rocket, no? Using a Magma external chassis. As far as I know they only have 2 slots available. A workstation, such as the HP (or a new Mac Pro) can have many multiple lane slots. Plus plenty of power and cooling.
I was there. I was at the first showing of the Apple II at the Civic Center Auditorium in SF with Jobs and Wozniak running the booth. Had 16 color monitor output, people flipped. Bought one 2 weeks later. Apple IIe, still have four from a prototype video synthesizer it ran on that I helped develop. First Mac in 1984. FIrst Mac II (with slots) invested in first video output card, the Video Explorer, dealer.  First Mac II controlled linear video editor, tape based, the...
I was there then, and welcomed the changes. I have to say , I don't welcome many of the changes is in Mt. Lion. Much less user control.
Excellent, well thought out post, hmm. OSX does need work. I'm afraid that since 10.6.8 is going in the wrong direction. My fear is that the focus on the low to midrange hardware by Apple is also indicative of their lack of commitment to performance in the OS and professional applications. iOS rules. Not interested in more consumer oriented bling. Have to say it reminds me of Microsoft's current direction. They have been copying Apple for years. Latest attempt to...
The Mac Pro shows the creative community that Apple is committed to them. That is why it is called "Pro". We can talk about specs until we are blue in the face. Without a Pro machine you will see a movement from Mac to Windows. My fear is that it has already begun. And if you can't see the difference between a K 5000 that costs as much as an entire iMac, then there is something you must be missing. 4GB of VRAM for one. Download the manual for Resolve. They even recommend...
Here is the one for the Mac it is working here  http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000-mac.html Working here when I paste it in. Also just Google NVidia K5000 Mac  4GB of display RAM btw Thanks Phil
Sorry, but the iMac display card doesn't come close to what is available in PCIe. NVidia has announced the Quadro K5000 for the Mac Pro. It is a blazing fast card, and one bright spot for the current Mac Pro. Check it out here http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000-mac.html  Black Magic recommends the Mac Pro or a PC workstation with a truly fast graphics card combine with a dedicated computer display card to get the most out of Resolve. Get over it, the iMac is not...
Also, Adobe Premiere uses lossy cache files for editing, and then creates the visually lossless (ProRes, DnXHD) on the final render out of your program. This is why they can accept almost any format of codec on ingest without transcoding. Their greatest advantage, most think, over other NLE's. The final render out can take a LONG, time, especially with an underpowered GPU or one that is not qualified for their CUDA acceleration. More effects and more layers equals even...
You can run two cards in the Mac Pro, the ideal setup for Resolve color correction is one high end NVidia combined with a GT120 for computer display and a Black Magic video card (required) for color critical video out to a Flanders or other critical (up to 4k now) display. 3 cards. Can't  do that with an iMac. Color grading (correction) is high art as well as high tech. Resolve used to cost tens of thousands of dollars as recently as NAB (biggest video show) two years...
This is about staying on OSX, not moving to Linux. The software we use is written for OSX and Windows other than the Apple Pro Apps such as Final Cut X, Aperture, and Logic Pro. Most of us desire to stay on the Mac. Personally, I'm not even considering Windows, let alone Linux. Pixar also has the best computer professionals in the business, not available to one man post shops. I suppose that should be obvious.