or Connect

Posts by Jim W

I stand by my statements despite your derision. Check Mac Performance Guide. We are both talking performance, not promises.
All I can say is that I am getting tired of constant OSX updates that are less and less functional and are only designed to increase profit, less attention to Pro Apps, and the neglected Mac Pro. I am really glad I bought into the 2010, 5,1 Mac Pro as it has not changed substantially since. Snow Leopard 10.6.8 will remain my go to OS as it is stable and sane in its operation. I have Mountain Lion on one internal boot drive for those companies like Adobe that only really...
Well, it can certainly be enough to require a refresh more often than every three and a half years! Imagine if Apple refreshed every product that infrequently. The professional market is very competitive. The 2012 Mac Pro "refresh" was not one at all. I bought my 5,1 Mac Pro in mid 2010. A new one is not expected until late 2013, if then. The technology is ancient in computer advancement years. 
Also should add to the Mac Pro list multiple HDs/SSDs. This is one of the most powerful aspects of the Mac Pro. Multiple boot drives, application environments, internal RAID.
  Totally agree. Best design of a tower ever. Still looks modern. I 'd be happy with the same design and up to date CPU, graphics, fast bus, and USB3 and Thunderbolt. And expansion slots.
  I am not expecting a $499 price point for a Mac Pro. My last one a 2010 5,1 cost well over $4000, before graphics upgrades and more RAM,  and I would pay that again for the next version. You sir, have no comprehension of the professional market and the money that is spent there. I just hope Apple honors their promise of "something great" , intimating a new Mac Pro, later this year. They are going to lose the the Pro, Science, and high end market to Windows, and I dread...
You must not know any video, audio, animation, or other media professionals. I won't get over it and neither will they. Scientific applications require expandability. Thunderbolt is not going to replace internally expandable computers. Apple is losing the faith of the pros that kept them alive before the stock speculators and bean counters began driving decisions. Upgradability is critical to many of us out here. Some of us must do more complex work than you. Not all of...
I would prefer less emaciated and easier to produce designs anyway. Cheese cutters. The new iMacs are likely to be difficult if not impossible to upgrade after the fact as well. Some of us need more RAM, faster graphics, multiple cheap fast HD's, etc. The iMac is a stand in for the Mac Pro many of us who have been waiting far too long. The new iMac is going in the opposite direction of what I am looking for.
If they are eating away at the Mac Pro market it mostly because of the lack of new Mac Pro, not anything offered by the iMac for professional use. At this point it is the only moderately high performance desktop regularly being updated by Apple. It lacks the ability to install large amounts of RAM, expansion cards, and multiple hard drives capable of booting into several versions of Mac OS or Windows easily on discrete hard drives, amongst other shortcomings. I am not a...
Many people in the pro video community in which I work are touting the 27" iMac as a Mac Pro replacement. It isn't and that is why I posted here. The traditionally highly expandable Mac Pro is hardly a certainty to appear. It was only said the "something really great" would be coming, probably late in the year. I certainly hope it does. Many pros are moving to Windows because the last Mac Pro is really 2010 technology. By making the iMac even thinner with a laminated...