or Connect

Posts by DansG3

I'll try to take a more serious approach and give my best guess. 1. Apple TV with ATSC tuner to record "over the Air" programs. Since apple lost NBC on iTunes, they've got to give people another way to record the shows they want on their iPods/iPhones. 2. Ultraportable MacBook with built in HSDPA via AT&T's 3G network.
Well my source provides me with current builds to test, so he usually knows what is going on. Currently i'm running 106, but from my experience with it, i would expect gm to be further down the road. We should have more confirmation over the weekend.
This isn't just copying what spymac had to say, cause they say another couple builds, but my source says this 115 is the one. Maybe someone else can confirm as well.
Just heard from a friend at Apple that Jaguar build 6C115 has gone gm. Now we just have to wait for it.
This Domino and Raycer technology he is talking about, mpeg decode / encode, audio I/O, and all that good stuff is exactly what i said in "Raycer graphics coming but not in the form we were hoping" thread a week ago. There no one seemed to give it a chance, maybe with this info you'll believe us. And I'd have to say the reason he started talking about it over a year ago is becuase that's really how long they have been working on this, and its about time they finished up...
I had the same questions too at first about why to bother with another video chip when the current graphics cards are doing pretty well at things like decoding mpeg2 and the processor encoding faster than real time. And for those of you wondering whether you would have to rewrite applications to take advantage of it I have an answer now. First of all after having another discussion with my friend I believe that a lot of you are right about it not being a simple graphics...
He "was" at apple when they expected it to be done by January, 2002. He recently got an update, but from what they told him, he couldn't make a clear prediction on whether they would make it by this July. I believe it has to be ready by then though if they plan to introduce a new board. If its not ready and they release a new board without it, it probably wouldn't get implemented for another two years or so, the rate at which apple seems to overhaul their boards. I...
[quote]Originally posted by RolandG: Sounds interesting... but I have a few questions: 1. How much would these chips add to the cost of a Mac that it would make its way into the consumer products?
Well, its supposed to be integrated with the northbridge chip, so i don't think the added costs will be too prohibitive, but my source was only one of the programmers, so i doubt he knows costs. [quote]2. Would programmers have to...
I just got some info on how Apple is planning to use the Raycer graphics chips. Unfortunately, they aren't going to do anything for aqua or quartz. What they are doing is combining it with the North bridge chip, connected directly to the processor, so the processor can offload mpeg2 decoding and encoding as well as quicktime playback, directly to the Raycer GPU. By doing this apple can significantly increase performance for video rendering in things like Final Cut,...
We don't work at an Apple Store, our store is much better than one of those. We are one of the oldest Apple retailers, and when the Apple stores can't support their customers they point them to us. Our store also does repairs, which the Apple stores can't do. Unfortunately our Apple rep also handles the local Apple stores, and so we get most of our info at the same time they do, but i'd have to say Apple reps don't get told much, because it's rare that he tells us...