or Connect

Posts by simpleankit

Ridiculous.  Good luck with permanent injunction then, it seems Judge has made her mind that there cannot be any irreparable harm or she would have not have given date after 3 months. Treble damages seems more important for Apple now as I guess. Jury bias or not, "no reasonable jury" is very high standard to meet, and Samsung is not going to go ahead much in this case as far as overturning the verdict is concerned, whether they appeal or not.  Their best shot can...
Great Victory for Apple , not because of damage award surely. 1 billion dollar is 15 days of Samsung's profit (or 22 days of Samsung Mobile division profit)  or 8 days of Apple's. However large it may seem (unless it gets tripled, in which case it would one and half month of Samsung;s profit), it is still a slap on the wrist, probably a tighter one.   Samsung played their game, took calculated risks, and are now the most profitable handset manufacturer after Apple,...
22 days of profit for Samsung mobile division to be exact
They should seriously settle. By the time Case Reviews, Appeals, Appeal reviews, etc will end in this case, multitude of years would have passed and legal fees itself would be greater than any potential award to any party.   2.5 billion will do no good to Apple balance sheet nor 500 million to Samsung's.  Samsung has moved away from Apple designs from nexus and s3, and   they are still competitive as per recent sales figures, quarterly revenues and...
I also feel numbers are cooked to reduce damage claims. Who is to check the authenticity of these? How can Apple claim even 2 billion dollar of damages if average selling price is so less? What is profit per handset Samsung is earning ? At 15% margin it is at 1.2 billion dollar. Now compare .67 billion revenue in quarter 2 2012 with around 20 billion dollar revenue Samsung mobile division earned during the same period Even if half of the revenue is from Smartphones ,...
2.5 billion dollar Apple is asking is majorly design patent related.    If Samsung can get away with design patent infringement through any means like touting functional designs  which even California court agreed cannot be patented ( like rounded corners, speaker on top, rectangle, etc) or by proving that they have evolved to these designs or by any other means, then damages would be much much lesser.   But I have no doubt of following patents coming in Apple...
All were concepts except F700. Samsung filed its design patent on Dec 2006 in South Korea. Samsung is saying that Galaxy S was direct evolution of F700.   F700         Galaxy S    
This amount seems quite less esp considering that it would assume all points in favour of Apple like court ruling all their IP being infringed, Samsung foregoing all their profits from sales of all 19 products which Apple is accusing for design infringement, etc. And this figure is not even one month of Samsung's  investment expenditure. And final agreed figure will  most certainly be much lesser.   It seems Apple is not very serious about damage part. 
What is the take away from all these when nobody knows whether Apple did the same to avoid being sued by this patent troll or whether they want to start a proxy war against other OEMs? But few things should be very clear. First atleast in US cour t patent troll cannot get preliminary injunction (they cannot show irreparable harm since they do not have any product of their own). Secondly even if infringement is proved damage award will be much less as there is nothing...
Reading comprehension? Though I believe you understood What I was trying to say. Other tablets will also fall into Apple's patent claims whether technical ( as in Australia) or design ( as in Germany) patents , but conscious choice to choose largest competitor and defeating it, is not all a bad strategy by Apple. Others will automatically comply